C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Bone Witch

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

Dec 01, 2015

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, read-2017, young-adult, zombies

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Witch.

December 1, 2015 – Shelved
December 1, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 29, 2016 – Started Reading
December 29, 2016 –
11.0% ""Let me be clear: I never intended to raise my brother from his grave, though he may claim otherwise."\n\nNow THAT, peoples, is how you start a book."
December 30, 2016 –
25.0% "Beautiful but boring description: 90%\nInteresting witchy stuff: 8%\nActual plot: 2%"
December 30, 2016 –
65.0% "This is so boring I can feel my eyeballs melting out the back of my skull. #LovelyImagery"
December 31, 2016 –
83.0% "I know the Bone Witchs' JOB is to kill monsters and keep people safe blah blah...BUT THEY JUST KILLED A DRAGON AND MY SOUL IS SAD. POOR DRAGON. It just wanted a nibble of people for lunch. C'mon. Just a little nibble...."
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: zombies
January 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow the premise sounds a lot like "The Spook's Apprentice" by Joseph Delaney. but that was fun

message 2: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow I just saw that you read it. Probably lots of stories have the witch/wizard apprentice thing going on. When I write it like that, it could describe Harry Potter.

Becca I'm about 1/4th of the way into this one now and it sounds like I've already hit most of the plot.... *cries sadly* that intro had SUCH PROMISE!! (And I adored her other books too... so sad)

Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak Same, same. I wanted to like this one too, but the descriptions put me to sleep.
Great review, Cait!

ClaireEva Eek now I'm nervous about this one. Our book buyer emailed me about it the other day asking wether I thought it sounded like something that would be good to get in and I swooned a little because it looked so gorgeous and it's rare for us to get beautiful hardcover ya books in Aus so I was like hells yeah let's do this! But now I'm scared that when I read it I won't like it which will make it soooo much harder to hand sell

Cynthia (Bingeing On Books) I just had to DNF this one at 12%. It was so boring and I kept thinking about other things because the book was not holding my attention. I really hate when that happens.

message 7: by Hélène (new)

Hélène Louise What a lovely review, thanks, cutty mushroom ^-^
(and also thanks because I won't even try to read it, even if the premises are so appetizing :/)

Kayci Lane Greenwood DNF'ed this one as well.

Jessica I just DNFed it as we'll. I really need to check out your reviews before I read things lol

message 10: by manda (new)

manda I refuse to pronounce it "Tay-uh"

message 11: by Sari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sari Agreed, so much. I struggled to finish this book because I lost interest rather quickly. Snore fest.

Stella (Paper Wings) Help, I'm 60% through, I've been reading this for about a month, and I feel the same way you do! I loved the beginning but now... sighhhhh. Is it worth it to finish?

Also, it was a Chinese setting...? Ummmm. I had NO idea. Not good.

Lyssa I had the same thought about the romance - thank you for putting that into words.

message 14: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Armstrong walsh Manda- that's because its NOT pronounced Tay-Uh. It's Tee, like the drink. Her siblings are named after flowers and animals, which she makes a point of saying is why her mother named her Tea, because she was bored of flowers. It bothers me that people keep wanting to pronounce it Tay-Uh when the text clearly indicates its Tea.

"You’re good at potions, Althy. Why don’t you whip up some tea for Mykaela here—and for me too while you’re at it.”
"“You’ll have to forgive me, I’m sure,” Polaire said to me. “We are old friends of Mykaela here. Tea is your name, isn’t it? How odd, since Althy has just repaired to the kitchen with your namesake. But I am not one to make fun of odd names, having one myself.”

See? It's Tea.

The Overflowing Inkwell Thing is, this isn't even worldbuilding. This is just an extended description of Gion Kobu and the flower towns of the Geisha. None of it is original except the introduction of non-Japanese food & instruments to the scene. The clothes & ornaments so lavishly described are all Geiko Kimono. None of this is original, so it's not even remotely excusable as someone carried away with their invention - it's someone carried away with Japan. But they don't give any of it Japanese names, which was extremely weird.

message 16: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige I FELT THE SAME WAY. I've only ever DNF'd two books in my life and this was one of them.

The Overflowing Inkwell Aimee wrote: "Manda- that's because its NOT pronounced Tay-Uh. It's Tee, like the drink.

No, it really is pronounced 'Tay-uh'. On page 272 of the hardcover, her name is pronounced deliberately to show it's being said "Tey-uh". I remember being surprised that a book would wait 3/4 of the way through before telling the reader how the main character's name is said.