Rachel's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Feb 03, 2011

bookshelves: fiction

The three Andreas sisters have all come back to the small town they grew up in and moved back in with their parents under the pretense of helping their ailing mother. However, they're really all running away from something: Rose, the caretaking, controlling oldest sister, from her increasing stressful relationship; Bean, the middle sister struggling to form her own identity, from troubles at her job; and Cordy, the vagabond youngest sister, is unmarried and pregnant.

Shakespeare references are found throughout the book. The sisters are all named after characters in Shakespeare plays and their father, a college professor, prefers to communicate by quoting Shakespeare instead of using his own words. I don't know much about Shakespeare beyond Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of this book. (Although if you are a Shakespeare expert, you will enjoy that much more I'm sure.)Sometimes the sisters didn't even understand what their father was trying to say!

This book was just wonderful! The author did a fantastic job of making each sister a believable, sympathetic three dimensional character. I could relate to some aspect of each sister. The author tells us their story in a unique way - the book is narrated by all three sisters in first person at the same time, as if they were one person. It sounds strange but it really works to show how close the sisters are and how intertwined their lives are whether they like it or not. Overall, this was a beautifully written engaging story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.