Joachim Stoop's Reviews > The Sellout

The Sellout by Paul Beatty

liked it

I don't recall reading a book which I loved so much in the beginning and was soooo fed up with in the end. It's too much of too much. There are about zero normal sentences and that was very tiring. It reminded me of Steve Toltz' Quicksand. I couldn't keep up with avalanches and avalanches of wit & satire. It's a damn shame, 'cuz I laughed out loud the first chapters.
I also think the book is better for native speakers (lots of linguistic humor) and if you live in the States (lots of inside jokes, historical/commercial/pop cultural references). I would give it a try and maybe read it slow and in several sittings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sellout.

December 1, 2015 – Shelved
December 1, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 20, 2016 – Started Reading
January 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Kasa Cotugno I agree with your assessment. In rereading my own 4 star review, I ponder at my higher rating when in retrospect, I didn't like it much at all.

Maggie Sokolik I'm with you. So wanted to love it more -- really exciting at the beginning, falling into that kind of satiric tedium that happens too often.

Eddie S. I thought I was the only one who felt like this

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Hafer Thank you. I also thought I was the only one who couldn't get past some of these long sentences that just end up making me feel very dumb and tired.

Steve Walsh You've nailed it. I'm surprised you gave it 3 stars.

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Maimbo I was so frustrated with the book in the end. It lost its way

Hayley Couldn't have said it better myself. I desperately want to like this book, but after laughing my way through the first few chapters, I just felt exasperated. Clever quips can only go so far before they become absurd and tiresome.

Jennifer Clark Agree. I can't remember a book I've laughed out loud to for a long time then I just got overwhelmed by it and ended up skimming some of the end chapters.

Cheyenne Dunnett Agree with a lot of this review! Found it funny but tough going...

Lauren I agree! And so many inside LA references!