Nastassja's Reviews > The Girl from Everywhere

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

I don't want to bit around the bush, so I'll start from the exciting part at once.

KASHMIR. A thief. A tutor. A dancing instructor. The guy has many talents.

And Mister . . . ?”
“Firas,” Kashmir said, folding his handkerchief neatly and making a crisp bow.
Blake’s brow furrowed as he took in the fine clothes. “A sailor?”
“Her tutor,” Kashmir said smoothly.
Blake cocked his head. “You’re much younger than any of my tutors.”
it. My people did, after all, invent algebra. Including the zero.”

This is one of the best male characters I've encountered in a book. It wouldn't hurt to say that he was the most developed character in this book as well. The guy is smart, witty, charming - one word: adorable. Every scene he was in alighted with color and life. Plus almost every wise word in this book comes from the guy's mouth. He is a wisdom in the flesh... spiced with humor, of course.

“Oscar Wilde,” I said. “And it’s cynics, not thieves.”
“Ah! That explains it, then.”

“There has to be a line, Kashmir,” I said angrily. “A person can’t do just anything for love.”
He shrugged one shoulder. “I would.”
“Yeah, well, you’re a thief. Your relative morality is already suspect.”
I always preferred bread.”

It was obvious from page one that he likes the heroine a lot. Duh, only a blind man could not see that and someone like the heroine, of course, because she treated the guy abominably. She used him, because he was near and he was a friend, but when she didn't need his help or his company, she just brushed him off. And the worst part is Kashmir never complained about it, never said a word to make her feel worse. It makes me hate the girl!
“Amira?”
For a moment, we were both still. The silence was stifling. “Yes?”
“Can I . . . I wanted to talk to you. About last night.”If I hadn’t been nearly nose to nose with
Blake, I wouldn’t have seen it, the tightening around his eyes. “I . . .” I cleared my throat,
trying to keep my voice light. “There’s nothing to talk about, Kash.”
He was quiet so long I thought maybe he’d gone. “As you say,” he said, finally. I didn’t hear his
footsteps as he left, but I did hear his door open and close.

Right at that time she was with another man! THAT BITCH! What worsens the matter even more - love triangle. It's one of those that makes it absolutely - ridiculously so - obvious that love interest #2 was inserted into book just for the sake of the existence of love-triangles. You know, they are in fashion these days, so... But love interest #2 is so bleak, so average, I can't see one reason that would attract a woman to him after she has already met Kashmir. So as you can see, the love triangle is utterly unrealistic and one of the stupidest I've encountered in a book.

And that leads me to our MC - Nix. She is just another bland girl, whose voice wasn't distinctive among the rest like her. True, she didn't annoyed me a lot, but I can't find any good words to say about her either. Even her mixed heritage wasn't presented to us in full image. We know that she's half Chinese and has brown eyes and chestnut hair with red streaks (?). But what of her facial features? I was intrigued by what features she inherited from which parent, but she wasn't even described to us, and in my head there's just a picture of your average YA heroine with no distinctive features.

One more thing that bothered me - the magic system. We have a world where some people can travel through time and dimensions with the help of a map. A map of any land - imaginary or real, but a person can travel with the help of a map only one time. One time - one map. But rather than that we know nothing of how exactly the system works? How did it appear? Just anything that would help us understand the principle of navigation. The author gave us an explanation, but it's really hard to call it an explanation, in my opinion, because it basically explains nothing:
“What do you mean, you just let go?”
“Once you know where you’re going, and you’re sure it’s there, you have to let go of where you’re
from. You look straight forward, you keep the land ahead in sight, and you don’t look back.”
“Literally or metaphorically?”
“Both. Once you sight your shore, you keep an eye on it. But you’ll never see it if you’re still
in port.”
“Running away and running to.”
“Sort of, yeah.”

Just "yeah" and that's it?!

The world-building, though, was more vivid than the magic system. It shows that the author lived in Hawaii and knows a lot about it culture. I really liked every description, every historical detail, myths, legends - it created an unforgettable image of the 19th century Hawaii. So partly this book can definitely be announced as a historical fiction.

I am going to read book #2 as this series is a duology, and I am really curious about Kashmir's fate. But I feel that the love-triangle won't go anywhere and maybe it'll become heavier and angsty, but I hope Kashmir will save the book for me like he did with The Girl from Everywhere. That is definitely something to look forward to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl from Everywhere.

Quotes Nastassja Liked

Heidi Heilig
“Sometimes a person has to let go of something to take hold of something else.”
tags: slate

Heidi Heilig
“And once everyone agrees something is one way, all the other ways it could have been disappear.”

Heidi Heilig
“The age of exploration is long over, amira. Now it’s the age of globalization. And once everyone agrees something is one way, all the other ways it could have been disappear.” I”

Heidi Heilig
“Love makes fools of us all. He has to believe it will work, because he’s in love.”

Heidi Heilig
“When I was young, I learned to expect loss. Every time you slept, something disappeared. Whenever you woke up, someone else was gone. But . . . I also learned that every day, you created everything anew. And whatever you had, you enjoyed as long as it lasted. Spend money when it’s in your pocket.” He took my hand and put the orange in it. “Eat fruit while it’s ripe.” His other hand found my cheek, his thumb brushing the corner of my mouth. “Paradise is a promise no god bothers to keep. There’s only now, and tomorrow nothing will be the same, whether we like it or not.”

Heidi Heilig
“After all, you can only hold one person tight if you're holding on with both hands.”

Heidi Heilig
“There are a lot of things that are illegal but not wrong. And probably more that are wrong, and still legal.”

Heidi Heilig
“The laws of the jungle remind me of the laws of the street. When I came abroad, I had to learn a different set of laws. Everywhere we go there is a different set of laws. Most of them unwritten.”

Heidi Heilig
“Why hold off the inevitable? Why, for the ephemeral.”

Heidi Heilig
“You know, if I had your morals, I could solve all my problems.”
He shrugged one shoulder and slipped the watch back into his pocket. “If I had your problems, I could afford to have better morals.”

Heidi Heilig
“Who said it was thieves who know the price of everything and the value of nothing?”
“Oscar Wilde,” I said. “And it’s cynics, not thieves.”
“Ah! That explains it, then.”

Heidi Heilig
“There is something terrifying about seeing someone strong standing on the edge of the abyss, like a ship on the lip of a whirlpool where the whole sea plunges into the maw of Charybdis. There is that moment when they reach out—like a drowning man will—and if you’re within reach, they will pull you down with them. I didn’t want to stand there beside him. I didn’t want to be dragged down.”

Heidi Heilig
“Jesus, Dad,” I said as people stared. “Someone will rob you.”
The captain laughed. “Yeah.” He jerked his chin toward Kash. “Him.”

Heidi Heilig
“I should have guessed Kashmir would become a nuisance. And a bad influence. But most importantly, a friend.”

Heidi Heilig
“I glared at him. “I wish you’d stay out of my room.”
“That’s a funny joke, princess, when you’re talking to a thief.”

“Where are you going?”
“Out. Like you.”
He raised an eyebrow, but he didn’t press for more information. “One should always make one’s own mistakes, instead of the mistakes of others, amira.”
“Out like me, then.”
“Dressed like that?”
“And what’s wrong with it?”
“It looks like you chose the pieces by throwing darts. And you are terrible at darts. Besides, it’s much too short.” He pointed vaguely toward my ankles and winked. “The whole world can see the top of your foot. You look like a hussy.”
I grabbed my skirt and flashed him my knees. He pretended to swoon. “Don’t worry. This is late Victorian, not early. More permissive.”

Heidi Heilig
“Aye, Captain!” With little effort, he swept me up and hoisted me over his shoulder, knocking the air out of me. “Shore leave!” he shouted as he trotted down the gangplank.
“Kashmir!”
“Ah!” he said as I pounded him on the back. “That was my kidney!”
“Put me down,” I said breathlessly, “or I’ll take out the other one!”
“You should know, amira,” he said, emphasizing the Persian accent he often kept hidden. “We don’t negotiate with terrorists!”

Heidi Heilig
He shrugged one shoulder. “I would.”
“Yeah, well, you’re a thief. Your relative morality is already suspect.”
“Ah,” he said then, standing. “Well. I’ll leave the morality for those that like the taste of it. I always preferred bread.”

Heidi Heilig
“Don’t get caught. The last thing we need is for you to go to jail.”
“Really?”
“We’d be shot.”
“You always know just what to say.”
“I try to look on the bright side.”

Heidi Heilig
“And in that moment, I saw the horizon unbounded and I reeled with the vastness of it. What new shores would I discover if I could only travel those few inches? A storm—a tempest in the pit of my stomach—but I was the skiff tossed on the waves, and my father’s lesson like thunder in my ears: don’t get too close. Still, the temptation was there.”

“And Mister . . . ?”
“Firas,” Kashmir said, folding his handkerchief neatly and making a crisp bow.
Blake’s brow furrowed as he took in the fine clothes. “A sailor?”
“Her tutor,” Kashmir said smoothly.
Blake cocked his head. “You’re much younger than any of my tutors.”
“Baleh, I am wise beyond my years,” Kashmir said. “And of course I have a natural inclination to it. My people did, after all, invent algebra. Including the zero.”

Heidi Heilig
“Had I been too selfish? I had never known my mother, but I knew my life as it had been without her: the ship, the sea, the myths, the maps . . . and, yes, Kashmir. The pain I felt at the thought of losing him—the same pain that kept me at arm’s length—gave me a hint of my father’s own struggle.”

Heidi Heilig
“This was what I’d always wanted . . . only now I understood the meaning behind the old curse, “May your every wish be granted.”

Heidi Heilig
I bit my lip and tasted oranges; the juice was very sweet. “Is that really true?”
His smile was bright in the moonlight. “I promise.”
“Then I suppose . . . just tonight—”
This time I did not turn away, and so I discovered that his lips were even sweeter than the orange.”

Heidi Heilig
“Blake . . . it’s inevitable,” I said, repeating the words I’d learned. “You’ve seen it on the horizon. You know what’s coming. Paradise is always lost.”
“That’s a convenient turn of phrase,” he said. “But paradise is never lost. Only destroyed.”

December 1, 2015 – Shelved
January 6, 2017 – Started Reading
January 6, 2017 –
2.0% "OMG! This is how one starts a book! It actually reminds me a lot of "Pirates of the Caribbean". The best vibe ever!"
January 6, 2017 –
3.0% "“You know, if I had your morals, I could solve all my problems.”\n He shrugged one shoulder and slipped the watch back into his pocket. “If I had your problems, I could afford to have better morals."\n\nOh my, I already adore this Kashmir guy."
January 9, 2017 –
16.0% "“The age of exploration is long over, amira . Now it’s the age of globalization. And once everyone agrees something is one way, all the other ways it could have been disappear.” \n\nSo sad and so true."
January 10, 2017 –
40.0% "“Don’t get caught. The last thing we need is for you to go to jail.”\n “For treason?” he said, running a comb through his tousled hair. “We wouldn’t go to jail.”\n “Really?”\n “We’d be shot.”\n “You always know just what to say.” \n\nAh, Kashmir, I am falling for you more and more with every minute :D"
January 11, 2017 –
63.0% "Agh, the love triangle is utterly annoying! Why on earth would she prefer dull Blake to witty, charming, smart Kashmir! For gods sake, the guy likes to read! He's a dream guy! Just agh! I am starting to hate the girl!"
January 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Gelisvb (new)

Gelisvb You are currently reading just one book!

Nastassja Gelisvb wrote: "You are currently reading just one book!"

Ahaha, yup, why is it so surprising?

message 3: by O.R. (new)

O.R. I was ready to buy this book just at the mention of how good the male character is, but I have no patience for another good guy being screwed over by a girl, a love triangle, and all this bull. Sigh :(

Nastassja O.R. wrote: "I was ready to buy this book just at the mention of how good the male character is, but I have no patience for another good guy being screwed over by a girl, a love triangle, and all this bull. Sig..."

Yeah, love-triangle is a hardcore in this one but despite it I'd still recommend the book; it has other interesting things in it and Kashmir is among them :) Besides I have high hope book 2 will rectify book 1's mistakes.

message 5: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries I second your thoughts on love-o-metry! I assume that your review is better than the book and since I expect an average 2.5, I think I shall pass.

Nouf *LostinFantasy* Aah I already know I'll love Kashmir from the quotes you put up!! I need to read this then! I'll just be prepared for an annoying MC and unnecessary triangle... Two of the worst things in YA. Haha.
But I'm excited for another time travel story now that I'm reading the final book in Passenger's duology. The genre can offer a lot of fun twists! ;D

Great review, Nasta!

message 7: by Minni Mouse (new) - added it

Minni Mouse Haha, your shelves and your review have convinced me. Add! I'm particularly intrigued by this Kashmir fella. And I love love triangles! *squee*

message 8: by Minni Mouse (new) - added it

Minni Mouse Uh oh. Have you read Passenger? I saw a reviewer liken it to that book...and I don't know if I can do more than one Passenger, haha.

Nastassja Mayim wrote: "I second your thoughts on love-o-metry! I assume that your review is better than the book and since I expect an average 2.5, I think I shall pass."

Well, maybe for the sake of Kashmir you could try the book someday :D

Nastassja Nouf *LostinFantasy* wrote: "Aah I already know I'll love Kashmir from the quotes you put up!! I need to read this then! I'll just be prepared for an annoying MC and unnecessary triangle... Two of the worst things in YA. Haha...."

Oh I have no doubts you'll like him from the first sight, or better say: from his first words :D The heroine wasn't annoying a lot, but her logic sometimes suffered severely, lol. I wouldn't also say there's much time travel, they mostly stayed in Hawaii, but the image of the 19th century Hawaii is absolutely fascinating!

Yeah, I am kinda want to read Passenger too and see which one I'd like more :p

Thank you, dear!

Nastassja Minni Mouse wrote: "Uh oh. Have you read Passenger? I saw a reviewer liken it to that book...and I don't know if I can do more than one Passenger, haha."

Yay, book deducting powers worked! *happy dance* :D If you like love triangles you might find this one an okay-ish, I guess? But when you meet Kashmir, you'll see that maybe this love triangle is indeed stupid, haha. Anyways, I will wait here for your rant if it happens ;D

Yup, I've seen many people compare this one to Passenger. I know they are similar and I am curious to compare these books too, but not in the nearest future, though :p

Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) Great review Nastassja! This one will stay on my "might read" shelf for now but it's definitely more appealing to me than Passenger (I read so many bad reviews about this one though, that might be why...)!
I really want to meet that Kashmir guy!

Nastassja Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) wrote: "Great review Nastassja! This one will stay on my "might read" shelf for now but it's definitely more appealing to me than Passenger (I read so many bad reviews about this one though, that might be ..."

Thank you, Sarah :) I decided to read this book first, because I've heard the main love interest in Passengers is kinda whiny. I guess I still love my book boyfriends to stay manly and not to complain every second about how the world is cruel, plus I didn't particularly enjoyed the author's previous series (the darkest minds), so I guess I'll pass Passenger for now :p

Nouf *LostinFantasy* Nastassja wrote: "Nouf *LostinFantasy* wrote: "Aah I already know I'll love Kashmir from the quotes you put up!! I need to read this then! I'll just be prepared for an annoying MC and unnecessary triangle... Two of ..."

Really, not much time traveling? But it still sounds interesting, plus witty and charming male characters (who are theives or pirates as a bonus) are my favorite type, so I'll definitely give it a try. And hopefully before the sequel is out so I can join in the excitement! ;D

Passenger has a lot of time traveling, which is fun! The writing/pacing is a bit slow, though - the book's weakness. Yeah. But the worldbuilding is solid and the characters are great - esp in the sequel with the secondary characters I am liking more and more!

Nastassja Nouf *LostinFantasy* wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Nouf *LostinFantasy* wrote: "Aah I already know I'll love Kashmir from the quotes you put up!! I need to read this then! I'll just be prepared for an annoying MC and unnecessary t..."

Ahaha, yup, they have a real pirate ship!

Good to know passenger 2 is good, now I feel more confident about reading it ;)

message 16: by Emer (new)

Emer *cough*

AHHHHHHHH you see what you've done with all your status updates and now this review. I want him!!! I want I want I want!!!
Hahaha honestly I'm confused though. There are aspects of this sound great (partly historical fiction, our boyf Kashmir) but then parts that sound a bit on the twee side.... Tell me what to do o wise one!!!!! To read or not to read????

Nastassja Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "*cough*

Hahaha honestly I'm confused though. There are aspects of this..."

Ahahaha, what can I say, Kashmir is hard to resist... and now I will have to go hide him somewhere, because: WATCH BUT NOT TOUCH MY BABY xDD

Look, the book is light and engaging, plus Kashmir. I'd say that odds are in favor of reading it. or you can wait for my verdict for book 2 which will be out in February and then decide. So: take the red pill, read the book and meet Kashmir, Emer, or take the blue pill and wait a little longer without Kashmir :D

message 18: by Emer (new)

Emer Nastassja wrote: "Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "*cough*

Hahaha honestly I'm confused though..."

Hmm..... I CHOOSE PURPLE!!!!!!!! XDDDDDD

Nastassja Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "*cough*

Hahaha honestly I..."