Nastassja's Reviews > Assassin's Heart

Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

DNF at about 60%

Once in a while I am in a mood for angsty romantic stories, so when I saw some of my friends complaining about an absolutely whiny heroine and sugar-sweet romance I thought: ok, the heroine is a ninny but all I want is a decent romance, please. Oh my, get what you asked for, Nastassja. From this point I am going to rant a lot about all the things I didn't like about this book, and if you haven't read it - beware the spoilers.

The first thing I noticed is the world-building. It is intrinsic and unique to some extent, and I probably would've liked it if not for the way it was inserted into the story. It was served to us the most boring way one could possibly imagine (or at least I could). For example: we are reading a dialogue between characters and then in the middle of that dialogue MС starts to mull over some aspect of the culture or rules or any other detail, really; it goes on and on - feels like forever - and feels like the author tries to jam that information into our mouths like we are a naughty children refusing to swallow whatever grown-ups trying to feed us. No, thank you, I am perfectly fine without your food or in the case of this book - without your lengthy boring forced details. The sad part is that the world in the story is quite interesting as I mentioned before, so sad it wasn't presented accordingly.

Then goes my next issue - the MC Oleander (she is literally and figuratively a special flower) aka Lea. All they say about her is true: she is whiny, she is vain, she is indecisive, she is flat.... I didn't find any pleasant qualities in her; zero connection from my side. I struggled to understand her, but I was like a stranger passing by, and if she was lying and bleeding on the asphalt, I wouldn't move a finger to help her. Yes, I am that evil, but, god, how tired I am of underaged whiny teenagers.

But Val . . . didn’t he love me? Had it all counted for nothing?
I closed my eyes. What hurt more? The death of my Family, or the cold betrayal?

Um, I guess the death of your family should hurt more? No? You are suppose do avenge them... or am I confusing something? I thought she was better. And what about her talking all the time about revenge and doing nothing most of the book (I skipped through the rest and know that she'll get some kind of revenge, but that took her sooooo long *yawns*)
I needed to find my uncle, enlist his help and his knowledge of the Da Vias. And then kill them all.

I closed my eyes and pictured slipping my knives into their hearts, cutting them down with my sword, forcing them to drink my most painful poisons. They deserved it and worse for what they’d done to the Saldanas.

“I’m a clipper, a disciple of Safraella,” I said to my reflection. “Murder is always the answer.”

Actually, I don't understand why she is so bent on revenge: her family was pretty terrible:

Yes, my mother had tried to kill me again tonight. But she’d done it to make me a better clipper. In her own, twisted way she was protecting me by making me stronger.

Oh, did she? I guess, good for her? And the best part, she doesn't even have a well-thought through plan, but she says otherwise:
“Whatever my plans are, they are well considered.”

She is supposedly a deadly trained assassin, then why the hell is she blushing every fucking minute! I can kill without blinking but I can't take a compliment without blushing. Yes girl, you are something!
I blushed behind my mask and pulled away.

Les shot me a sideways glance and I flushed.

Oh, did I forget to mention that our special flower is also vain:
Did your mother or father ever ask if you wanted to be something else?”
I snorted. “Who would give up a life of money and power and respect?”

Now, let's finally talk about my reason for reading this book - LURVE. But, Nastassja, did you know this book has a love-triangle? *gasp* WUT?!!! Nooooooooo. And did you know they will actually die together like Romeo and Juliet, then they will be resurrected together (not like Romeo and Juliet, apparently). And one specific detail: the heroine will do all of that with the other guy. Not the one from the rival family? Nope. Not the one she is so in lurve with, but they are star-crossed lovers and will become enemies and then will fight their way to each other again? Nope, not this one. *double gasp* I don't believe in true love any longer... She will fall in insta-love with a different guy almost after *checks her watch* yep, approximately five minutes after they met each other *facepalm*
I’d thought I loved Val. But maybe that love had been built on the prestige of his bloodline, his talents, and his wealth. Les had none of those things, and yet his very presence made me feel safe.

Bye-bye Val, we found a substitution for you, his name is Les and he is not less then you, because he is taller.

I am so done with this book! *leaves the stage and slams the door behind*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Heart.

December 1, 2015 – Shelved
February 4, 2016 – Started Reading
February 5, 2016 –
25.0% "This book is so boring. Something happens but it does not catch my attention. I don't mind the romance so far, but I fear a love triangle will soon arrive. And on top of all this, I don't feel connection with MC Lea :/"
February 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Simona (new)

Simona Bartolotta I've heard only negative things about this one, indeed :) Here's to hoping the next read will work out better for you, Nastassja. Great review as always :)

message 2: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kondrenko like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom? why oh why such a nice idea was wasted for this book

Nastassja Simona wrote: "I've heard only negative things about this one, indeed :) Here's to hoping the next read will work out better for you, Nastassja. Great review as always :)"

Thank you, Simona! ^^ I actually heard 50/50 positive/negative opinions and needed to check myself.

Nastassja Katerina wrote: "like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom? why oh why such a nice idea was wasted for this book"

He is from another city where she fled to after her family was murdered. But yes, I think he is the tallest guy she ever met, how can you resist that, right? xD

Fafa's Book Corner Aww I'm sorry that you didn't like it :(

I am very happy that I gave up on reading this! I thought that she would put all her focus on avenging her family. Fine they clearly didn't treat her that well but that was still her family. Anyways I'll never read it. Such a shame that it sucked.

I hope your next read is better! Great review :)

message 6: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kondrenko Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom? why oh why such a nice idea was wasted for this boo..."

You just can't let me guess his eyes' color. BLUE?

Nastassja Fafa's Book Corner wrote: "Aww I'm sorry that you didn't like it :(

Thank you, Fafa)) I knew she wouldn't revenge her family as she ought to, but at least I hoped the romance will be decent - that was my main reason for reading.

Nastassja Katerina wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom? why oh why such a nice idea was w..."

Um, I think they were brown? I am not sure, because I really didn't pay much attention to it by the time I decided to DNF the book.

message 9: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Kondrenko Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom? why oh why such ..."

Game over for me xdDD

Nastassja Katerina wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Katerina wrote: "like really? really-really? you haven't mentioned all of this before. so she re-fall-in-loved with a tallest boy in her kingdom..."

I know, wrong eye color can change everything!

message 11: by Katerina (new) - added it

Katerina Bwahaha I loved your sarcasm Nastassja!What a witty and delightful review!I am sorry this wasn't the book for you!

Nastassja Katerina wrote: "Bwahaha I loved your sarcasm Nastassja!What a witty and delightful review!I am sorry this wasn't the book for you!"

Thank you, dear ^^ I really enjoyed writing this snarky review way more than reading the book. We lovers of romance in books demand it to be perfect or otherwise we are going to be very angry and snarky :D

Logan Price I can see why you DNF I thought about it too, but the ending was pretty good!

Nastassja Logan wrote: "I can see why you DNF I thought about it too, but the ending was pretty good!"

Yeah, this book wasn't my cup of tea, but I am glad you liked it, Logan :)