Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー's Reviews > The Hobbit or There and Back Again

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

4919283

bookshelves: favorites, tolkien, fantasy
Read 6 times. Last read May 30, 2018 to June 30, 2018.

Buddy read with Fares and I could not be more excited!

Edit after finishing: So I'm bawling right now. Every time I have to say goodbye, I just can't bear it. Full review to come.
Image result for last goodbye billy boyd gif

Image result for last goodbye billy boyd gif

Image result for in a hole in the ground

Since this is a buddy read with the awesome Fares , my review will be chapter by chapter, accompanied by appropriate gifs and quotes every two days.

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Party. This is giving me such nostalgia!

Underrated quote: The hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The Bagginses have lived in the neighbourhood of The Hill for time out of mine, and most people considered them very respectable, not only because most of them were rich, but also because they never had any adventures or did anything unexpected; you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking him. This is the story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected."

Image result for going on an adventure gif

Chapter Two: Roast Mutton

Image result for trolls the hobbit gif

Tolkien's humour is really underappreciated: "Thorin and Company to Burglar Bilbo greeting! For your hospitality our sincerest thanks, and for your offer of professional assistance our grateful acceptance. Terms: cash on delivery up to and not exceeding one fourteenth of total profits (if any); all travelling expenses guaranteed in any event; funeral expenses to be defrayed by us or our represented, if occasion arises and the matter is not otherwise arranged for.

Or another gem:

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandalf as they road along
"To look ahead." said he
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?"
"Looking behind."

Related image

Chapter three: A short rest

bilbo, gif, lord of the rings, lotr, the hobbit, rivendell

What I love about this chapter is that it establishes my favourite ship, Bilbo X Rivendell. All jokes aside, it is the chapter where Bilbo discovers a lifelong connection with Rivendell, a place that will ultimately provide him with respite and comfort in his late years.

They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever.

Chapter 4: Over Hill and Under Hill

Image result for rock giants the hobbit gif

When he peeped out in the lightning flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang,

Chapter 5: Riddles in the dark

Image result for gollum and bilbo gif

Gollum had no sword. Gollum had not actually threatened to kill him. Or tried to yet. And he was miserable, alone, lost. A sudden understanding, a pity mixed with horror, welled up within Bilbo's heart: a glimpse of endless unmarked days without light or hope of betterment, hard stone, cold fish, sneaking and whispering. All these thoughts passed in a flash of a second.

Chapter 6: Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Image result for bilbo thorin hug gif

Unpopular opinion time: I love the Hobbit movies with all my heart. This chapter is one of my favourites in the movie (even though there's a lot of Bilbo/Thorin drama - alright, I love the drama. That bromance is the best).

This chapter has some great lines by the dwarves, especially underrated ones like Dori and Balin. There are wargs, goblins and of course, Eagles in this one. The Eagles are cool and neutral assholes as usual. You know, as the saying goes, don't risk a feather for a mortal. I totally made that up, but that's how they are

What did I tell you?" said Gandalf laughing Mr Baggins has more about him than you guess." He gave Bilbo a queer look from under his bushy eyebrows, as he said this, and the hobbit wondered if he guessed at the part of his tale that he had left out.

Chapter 7:Queer Lodgings

Image result for beorn gif

I love this chapter so much. I love Beorn. I can relate to him - he's a vegetarian who loves nature, animals and plants. And he's a bee keeper! It's as if Tolkien predicted our bee crisis and rise in vegetarianism. Beorn is the Tom Bombadil of the Hobbit - he doesn't care for shiny things, rings and gems. He just loves his nature.

I love how Gandalf introduces the hobbits! We get spoiled by Gandalf's sharpened-by-a-whetstone-wit and Beorn's hilarious sense of humour!

There are some tantalising parts of this chapter where Beorn wants to know the story of the company's journey thus far. However, there are some weird bits like the dogs serving food on their hind legs and Bears dancing outside in the moonlight. This is the whimsical side of Tolkien I love!

Gandalf leaves the dwarves to journey through Mirkwood alone. AND THIS is where things get awesome!

Some of my favourites quotes:

At any rate he under no enchantment but his own. He lives in an -oak-wood and has a great wooden house; and as a man he keeps cattle and horses which are nearly as marvellous as himself. They work for him and talk to him. He does not eat them; neither does he hunt or eat wild animals."

So they all went to breakfast with him. Beorn was jolly for a change; indeed he seemed to be in splendidly good humour and set them all laughing with his funny stories; nor did they have to wonder long where he had been or why he was so nice to them, for hetold them himself. He had been over the river and right back up into the mountains - from which you can guess that he could travel quickly, in bear's shape at any rate. From the burnt wolf-glade he had soon found out that part of their story was true; but he had found more than that: he had caught a Warg and a goblin wandering in the woods. From these he had got the news; the goblins patrols were hunting with Wargs for the dwarves and they were angry because of the death of the Goblin King.
Side note: I wanted to share something special with all my reading buddies. This is the exact copy of The Hobbit my aunt gave me ten years ago for my 11th birthday. I've read it about eight times. It is the book that got me into reading and eventually got me two Tolkien tattoos and a lifetime of love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit or There and Back Again.

February 3, 2011 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 –
page 40
June 10, 2018 –
page 90
24.59% "Image result for gandalf dwarves gif"
June 21, 2018 –
page 160
43.72% "My love for this book never dies."
June 29, 2018 –
page 200
54.64% "Just finished the Beorn chapter! Will update my review ASAP"
June 29, 2018 –
page 270
73.77% "Just going to take a moment to gush over how much I love Thorin:

SKREEEEEEEEEEEE

Alright. I got it out.

Image result for thorin gif"
June 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) I see you changed your name Tolkien Gal.

Also Asffgfd your every 2 days update gonna kill me for my LOTR read :x

Also that edition looks fantastic!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "I see you changed your name Tolkien Gal.

Also Asffgfd your every 2 days update gonna kill me for my LOTR read :x

Also that edition looks fantastic!"

Thanks Bhavik! I'm sure your LotR read will be great. Well, I am the Tolkien gal!

message 3: by Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) (last edited May 30, 2018 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Yes! I am betting on it!

*sobs coz lame attempt*

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "Yes! I am betting on it!

*sobs coz lame attempt*"

That song XD Childhood memories.

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "Yes! I am betting on it!

*sobs coz lame attempt*"

That song XD Childhood memories."

Yes! Although hearing it now you realise just how wrong the lyrics are xD (view spoiler)

Ana O Fuck yes.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Ana wrote: "Fuck yes."

I KNOW RIGHT? It's about time.

Adrian Looking forward to this ongoing review Jen.
Like the add-on to your name :)

Adrian Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Adrian wrote: "Looking forward to this ongoing review Jen.
Like the add-on to your name :)"

Thanks :)

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) The Hobbit is that the protagonist isn't some young person with strength and energy to boot - he's a middle-aged guy who finally lives a life of adventure. It's a message that anyone out there can have an adventure despite their age

This <3

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "The Hobbit is that the protagonist isn't some young person with strength and energy to boot - he's a middle-aged guy who finally lives a life of adventure. It's a message that anyone out there can ..."

Thanks!

Adrian Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."

and then Jen wrote "Oh wow! Well, one day my copy will also be 46 years old! So we both got into fantasy and sci-fi the same way :) "

And Jen, I hope you still have your copy at 46 years old., it will mean a lot to you i'm guessing 😊
And yes it appears the same book did us both 😉

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Exciting review, Jennifer! :)

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Adrian wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."

and then Jen wrote "Oh wow! Well, one day my copy wil..."

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Diane wrote: "Exciting review, Jennifer! :)"

Thanks, Diane! :)

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana Ilie Excellent review Jen!!!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Dana wrote: "Excellent review Jen!!!"

Thanks, Dana!

*Swaroop* wow, 6th time! awesome. I will surely read it once before I pass away, I hope...

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー ||Swaroop|| wrote: "wow, 6th time! awesome. I will surely read it once before I pass away, I hope..."

I'm sure you will :) We will read the books we are meant to read.

*Swaroop* Thanks Jennifer! - that was a nice and meaningful comment.

Anuradha This book is perfect and so is your review!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Anuradha wrote: "This book is perfect and so is your review!"

Naww, thanks Anuradha!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Maddie wrote: "Enjoy ladies - love your updates :)"

Thanks love <3

Ana O Girl I love your taste in books.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Ana wrote: "Girl I love your taste in books."

Thanks love ;) Ditto to you. I've discovered some amazing books just by reading your awesome reviews.

message 28: by Michael (last edited Jun 12, 2018 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."
Huh, I think my oldest copy of The Hobbit is a tie in to the old Rankin-Bass TV special that's about 40 years old.

description

It was a Christmas gift from my two brothers and is full of illustrations from the animated special.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Michael wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."
Huh, I think my oldest copy of The Hobbit ..."

They made tie-tins for the Rankin-Bass movie? Wow! Didn't know. That is awesome.

Michael Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."
Huh, I think my oldest copy of [book:T..."

Yes, that was long, long before the Jackson LOTR and Hobbit movies and I think was the first adaptation of any of Tolkien's works, so as a teen I thought that Rankin-Bass movie was really exciting!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Michael wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fantasy and then SF."..."

When I watched the Rankin-Bass adaptation I actually enjoyed it. Quite trippy, but very quaint.

Michael Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my cousin which got me into reading Fanta..."
At the time, Rankin-Bass was best know for children's programing so in some ways The Hobbit was a bit out of their normal comfort zone. This was shown by the rather surrealistic way they depicted the goblins being killed in the escape from goblin-town!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Michael wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Adrian wrote: "Oh and I still have my copy of the Hobbit given to me 46 years ago by my..."

That's awesome!

Adrian Oh yeah I remember that adaptation, it looks very dated now 😳. But it was of its time.

So I’ll bid a 1970 Hobbit and raise you a 1976 LotR 😀

message 35: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara "If it weren't for Bilbo's empathy at that moment and he had decided to kill Gollum, Frodo and Sam would have had Gollum to help them make it to Mordor on a more secret path. Bilbo's empathy saved Middle Earth. Think about that. Deep stuff."

Not just the secret path Jen, but the ultimate destruction of the ring happened because Gollum was there. Of course Tolkien had no concept when he first wrote The Hobbit of the real nature of the ring or the tale it would be the center of in The LoTR , but I think one of his many strengths was his ability to pull in aspects from all over his mythology and make them fresh, insightful, and deep.
I recently started reading The Annotated Hobbit by Douglas A. Anderson, which has the original work in all of its glory, as well as cool notes and illustrations. Its definitely worth a read!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Tara wrote: ""If it weren't for Bilbo's empathy at that moment and he had decided to kill Gollum, Frodo and Sam would have had Gollum to help them make it to Mordor on a more secret path. Bilbo's empathy saved ..."

Every reread makes me realises how truly amazing a story teller - and weaver of plots - Tolkien is. I've wanted to read that for a while now! Will give it a go soon.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Gianfranco wrote: ""

Love the gif XD

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Please pm me a brief info on the book so I can proceed with FOTR XD

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "Please pm me a brief info on the book so I can proceed with FOTR XD"

Brief info? Just PM me with what you mean by brief info? Then I shall provide :D

message 41: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Well said! "What I love about The Hobbit is that the protagonist isn't some young person with strength and energy to boot - he's a middle-aged guy who finally lives a life of adventure. It's a message that anyone out there can have an adventure despite their age."

One of my reads of The Hobbit was out loud with friend. It was a great experience that showed me another dimension to the story and Tolkien.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー HBalikov wrote: "Well said! "What I love about The Hobbit is that the protagonist isn't some young person with strength and energy to boot - he's a middle-aged guy who finally lives a life of adventure. It's a mess..."

That's awesome! I'd love to read it out loud with my kids some day. Reading something out loud or listening to the audio book really does add a layer to a story.

Ivana Books Are Magic Lovely review and I can understand your enthusiasm about this book! I've reread The Hobbit a couple of times and I love it just as much as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's the book that started it all, isn't it! I was fortunate to discover it as a child, before the movie versions and the hype, so I was always left with that feeling of discovery...but rereading it as an adult has been just as satisfactory, perhaps even more. I had a fancy copy of this book, but I gave it to one little girl. I hope she's treasure it:), you reminded me that I need to get another copy because I will surely reread it in the future.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Ivana wrote: "Lovely review and I can understand your enthusiasm about this book! I've reread The Hobbit a couple of times and I love it just as much as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's the book that started ..."

I was also lucky enough to have read the Hobbit before the movies, but not Lord of the Rings. That's so sweet of you to have given the copy to her - My aunt gave me my first copy of LotR, too.

message 45: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma Super Urgent PM Alert!

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Karishma wrote: "Super Urgent PM Alert!"

Sorry! I've been off GR for two days. Did you get my super urgent reply???

Donald Trump (Parody) Inspiring stuff. That little Bilbo guy really stepped up to the plate.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Donald wrote: "Inspiring stuff. That little Bilbo guy really stepped up to the plate."

Yes sir, he did. Thanks Mr President.

Sophie M. President, those reviews scream authenticity to me. In capslock. Definitely not fake news.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Sophie wrote: "M. President, those reviews scream authenticity to me. In capslock. Definitely not fake news."

XD