C.G. Drews's Reviews > Kill the Boy Band

Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Boy Band.

December 1, 2015 – Shelved
December 1, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2016 – Started Reading
April 9, 2016 –
page 202
63.13% "I'm reading very disturbing One Direction fanfiction apparently. Okay then."
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by DarthLolita (new) - added it

DarthLolita oh boy.

I got this book from the library today. I am both extremely optimistic and, now, extremely cautious of it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Uh oh why is this a 1D fanfic... And yea that kind of stuff it's what you hear in a boyband fandom like is that crazy, now im wary about reading this oh well

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the first paragraph about fangirls was supposed to be a sort of parody of the how others see fangirls these days because I laughed out loud. XD Dark humor's my thing, but I know I'm never gonna read this, so...

message 4: by Maya (new)

Maya ahahaha great

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Yiiiiikes. I'm steering clear, thank you.

message 6: by haley (new)

haley Yikes, this sounds atrocious. Thanks for the review, Cait. Will definitely avoid this.

message 7: by Tasya (new) - added it

Tasya Dita THIS SOUNDS REALLY HORRIBLE. I don't find anything funny from the excerpt and it's just really horrendous. I mean I know this things really happened in the real life, but these kind of fangirls is only around 5-10% of the fandom. Thanks for the warning Cait, I would stay like 1000 light years away from this book.

message 8: by Medini (new)

Medini This sounds... bad. I don't think slapstick humor is for me either :/

message 9: by Emma Ruth (new)

Emma Ruth I'm tempted to read this just to see how horrible it is for myself. I may regret it, but at least my curiosity will be satisfied.

message 10: by Gini (new) - rated it 1 star

Gini Coll I have to agree with the fandom thing... As a fangirl myself, I can't help but to feel a bit offended. The type of characters portrayed in the book are only a 1% of a fandom.
However, I think that was the intention of the author... I'm not sure yet! I started reading it last night ^^

message 11: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson This book sounds so gross. So, SO gross. Burn it, burn it all.

message 12: by Mironiel (new)

Mironiel Blokzyl BURN THIS BOOK. As a fangirl, I find even the concept of this book offending.

Priya Sridhar One article recommended this as something to read after Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. I think Gravity Falls did a better job of tackling the issue in "Boyz Crazy."

Priya Sridhar Agreed. It's why I recommend the Gravity Falls episode "Boyz Crazy" for a more respectful look at fandom, though "Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons" has a lot of fun homages.

message 15: by Rebekah (new) - added it

Rebekah I've read a lot of varying reviews about this book and it looks like it's really either hit or miss. For example, I absolutely love Beauty Queens but some people think it's terrible. I hated Rebel Belle, but most of my friends didn't. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but thanks for being a guinea pig! ;)

message 16: by Bre (new)

Bre and this is going on the immediate never to read in my life pile. without reading it.

Rachell Oh my gosh. This book was awful! I loved your review, though. Haha

I tried this book and I could not do it. It was written well, but everything that was happening and the way these characters were acting... I just couldn't bring myself to relate. I would totally be ashamed of myself if I was the author of this book. I disliked it THAT much.

message 18: by Jami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jami Murphy Ha! You nailed it! I couldn't be bothered to rant. But you totally got it right. Well done.

message 19: by Hanna (new)

Hanna Bella Books like this still being published W H Y . I think girl on girl hate is just not cool

message 20: by Lulufrances (new)

Lulufrances Oh gosh. This is flying off my wishlist right after I finish this comment...

Kristy I just finished this an completely agree with you. Utterly insulting to fangirls and fandoms.

desirae this is still my favorite review i've seen of a book on GR because of how classic of a fangirl you are - you want to distance yourselves from THOSE fans, you're SOO DISGUSTED by their behavior, this is a VERY UNREALISTIC REPRESENTATION OF FANDOM!!!

everyone who's upset by this book is literally upset because y'all are pretentious enough to believe that it's an "insult" to you, a "real fan". chill out.

message 23: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Simion I know. >.> I didn't like this book either. .-.

message 24: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Simion ALSO WHAT! Some of your quotes and points make me angry. There's fat shaming and "liking ugly guys because pretty guys won't like the character"? What. The. Hell? That is pathetic. I'm glad I DNF this. Disgusting.

Sarah I could not have said it better myself! This book is horrible!