Akilah's Reviews > Re Jane

Re Jane by Patricia  Park

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned, 2016

Jane would never ever ever EVER EVER (view spoiler) NEVER EVER. That is fundamentally the core of the book and her character and having her do that means the author DOESN'T GET THE ORIGINAL since that is the WHOLE POINT OF THE STORY.

If this weren't on my Kindle, I would've thrown the book across the room, I swear. Just...no. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

That would be like a Pride & Prejudice retelling where Darcy and Lizzie instantly hit it off and started dating. Or if Romeo & Juliet's families didn't hate each other. Or if Hamlet was just super happy about his uncle marrying his mom after his dad died and his dad's ghost visited him saying that he had been murdered. Would Hamlet be all, "Wow, that sucks, Dad, but Mom is super happy with Uncle Claudius now, and I'm just happy for her so probably you should go haunt somebody else"? I mean, that is how ridiculous the whole plot point in Re Jane is. If (view spoiler), you are no longer telling the story of Jane Eyre, but doing something else.

So basically I had to stop reading because of that. Who knew I was such a purist?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Re Jane.

November 30, 2015 – Shelved