Catherine's Reviews > Visions of Magic

Visions of Magic by Regan Hastings

I really, really like the world setup that the author created. I have a bit of a thing for the Salem trials, so seeing a modern day world modeled after that was a big hit with me. Can you just imagine living like that? The author clearly shows that even just being seen talking with someone suspected of witchcraft can lead to you being snatched up too. There really are witches and magic, but a lot of innocent people are accused for no reason because the hysterical public has led to an act-first-ask-questions-later police force.

I loved the setup for Torin and Shea’s romance. I’m not big into reincarnation in books but I really liked it here. I don’t think quite enough time was spent dwelling on how awful the life of the Eternals has been throughout the years, but it was at least acknowledged enough that it didn’t bother me too much. When I first thought about their relationship it seemed really romantic. The thought of a man loving you so much that he finds you again and again through the ages is beautiful. But then I thought more about it and realized it was rather tragic. He finds her again and again, but each time he loses her. He has to watch her die and wait for years to be able to find her again. That’s very sad for Torin.

Even though I did like the idea of the romance, the actual execution was a little lacking. Torin was a very shallow character. He didn’t really have a personality other than his longing and impatience to be with Shea. I think he was supposed to be cast as “alpha” because of his pushy behavior in the beginning, but he needed more personality for that to work for me. I wish we could have actually had some relationship development instead of using their history together as a crutch. Especially when seeing actual flashbacks left me disbelieving their connection.

The story was all about Shea and her awakening and acceptance of her magic and Torin. I really enjoyed the story in the beginning—learning about the witches and the hunt for them and their weaknesses and treatment after being caught. But toward the end as we had more focus on Torin and Shea I lost interest. They just weren’t that interesting to follow. There was no struggle in their relationship other than Shea’s atonement and the fated mate thing is not a favorite of mine. Too often it’s used as an excuse to not develop a convincing relationship.

Shea really had some TSTL moments. I don’t know why, but she kept putting herself into danger and then being surprised that it found her. Even when Torin told her that she hadn’t changed she never really internalized the criticism and fixed herself. It was frustrating.

Sex scenes are not a huge draw for me in Romances, but I can’t help but comment on them when they stand out in one way or another. These scenes caught my notice, but not because they were great. They were so over the top and dramatic that it was kind of irritating. I would have rather had stale, mechanical scenes than that. They actually made me giggle as I read them.

I know that this is the beginning of a series, but did we have to have so many side plots that were introduced but never resolved? I thought they would have a purpose other than just to set up the next book.

I was going to give this one a 3.5 but after writing this I realized that I didn’t enjoy it enough to do that so I had to give it a 3.

Favorite Quote:
She ran because she had to.

Because the haunting memories overtaking her were too much to handle.

And Torin.

Always Torin.

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Magic.

02/05/2011 page 43
12.0% "Very interesting Salem style world. I'm not too into the pushy Eternal thing, but I'm hoping that cools off a tad." 2 comments
02/06/2011 page 98
27.0% "I wonder if the president needs her for changes to benefit the witches or if it'll just make it worse."
02/06/2011 page 110
30.0% "

She ran because she had to.

Because the haunting memories overtaking her were too much to handle.

Not just of the last few days, when she'd found out what it was to be locked down and helpless...but the memories of the past--of lives she'd lived and died. Memories of dark magic and chanting voices. And Torin.

Always Torin.

" 16 comments
02/06/2011 page 262
71.0% "Poor Torin. His mate wasn't exactly all about him in her first life."
02/06/2011 page 272
74.0% ""Beautiful," he repeated. "In lifetime after lifetime, the essence of you was unchanged. Your eyes, always this brilliant green. Your soul, always calling to mine. And always, I have loved you."" 2 comments
02/06/2011 page 296
80.0% "Pride in the mate mark or not, I wouldn't be wearing that traditional dress."
02/06/2011 page 345
94.0% "This book actually ends on page 345 if someone feels like fixing it. :)"

message 1: by Archer (new)

Archer I like your comments so far. Looking forward to the review.

Catherine Thanks, Archer. I haven't quite written it up yet. I'll let you know when it's up.

message 3: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Great review, Catherine. This actually does sound really interesting. It's a shame the execution was lacking for you. I might wait to see some more reviews from my GR friends before I decide whether to pick this one up!

Catherine Thanks, Quinn. If you do end up picking it up, I hope it works better for you.