Miriam's Reviews > Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land

Lord Byron's Novel by John Crowley

Feb 03, 2011

bookshelves: books

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Byron's Novel.

February 3, 2011 – Started Reading
page 175
37.63% "The Iron Duke!"
March 15, 2011 –
page 218
46.88% "Enter the Barrister"
March 17, 2011 –
page 242
52.04% "Authorial presence of Bryon in "reconstruction" of Byron's novel"
March 20, 2011 –
page 278
59.78% "I decline to bother following your made-up code."
March 20, 2011 –
page 313
67.31% "The parallels between Byron's marriage and "his" protagonist were plenty obvious; please stop belabouring them in "Ada's" notes."
March 28, 2011 –
page 352
75.7% "This moral sentiment doesn't sound like Byron to me."
March 28, 2011 –
page 397
85.38% "I called for my cloak and gondola (two nice Mrs Radcliffe words for you)"
March 28, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly How is this? Had it on my list forever.

Miriam Decent, but I'm not loving it. Have you read Crowley before? He tends to leave me a bit cold, but I know people who love him.

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Haven't, no. I do love me some Byron, though- hard to resist fanfic about him.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly No pressure, Miriam! :)

Miriam I'm still in Albany, Elizabeth. This book is borrowed from my friend's boyfriend (the one whose shelves are all famous authors I don't read) so the test will be whether I get a copy to finish when I get home.

Miriam The Sac library says they have it, but thanks. I don't think I'm going to hate it, I just don't think I'm going to love it, either. So far it is well written and interesting, just not highly compelling or affective.

Margaret I liked this because I can't resist things Byronic, but boy, I bounced right off Little, Big in spite of many recommendations.

message 8: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Margaret wrote: "I liked this because I can't resist things Byronic, but boy, I bounced right off Little, Big in spite of many recommendations."

Yyyyyeah, people have rec'd Little, Big to me whose taste I find....dubious. Or at least they seem to have a higher tolerance for Fucking Twee.

Miriam I keep wanting to try Little, Big even though I'm pretty sure Crowley is not for me. I'm home now and trying to persuade myself to order Byron's Novel from the library. My current excuse is I have many books checked out already.

Miriam Oh, I expect I'll finish it. I meant that I had tried a couple other things of his (Aegypt, Magick, some short stories) and never got into them.

message 11: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Elizabeth wrote: "I liked The Translator and it's short. You might try it first.

I just got that! And I have the Byron book. Someone gave me L,B and a book of his short stories.

Miriam I generally give up more promptly, but his books always sound interesting.

Miriam I did get the library copy of this, although I probably won't get to it immediately. I have Patricia McKillip's new one to read first, and a couple things that are due soon...

Miriam Well, I do think Crowley did a really good job with the period language and writing style, and it was relatively interesting all round. I didn't love it, or any of the characters, but it had... craftsmanship. More like 3.5 for me.