Helia's Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Nov 30, 2015

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, diverse-reads, favorite-standalones, age-young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read May 5, 2017 to May 14, 2017.

Rainbow Rowell made me laugh, cry, and fall in love with Carry On.

Simon Snow is The Chosen One. He sucks at his job. In his final year of magic school, he still has little to no control over his powers. Plus he's pretty convinced his roommate is a vampire and is trying to kill him. Baz is most definitely trying to kill Simon. He's also hopelessly in love with him.

This book was an unexpected gem, and a new favourite. The story had a slow start, but Rowell brought her own distinct writing style to the world of fantasy and made something completely separate and new.

The characters were so many levels of perfect. They are funny and sweet and so wonderfully flawed. Simon cares so much about others. He's clumsy and sloppy and freakishly paranoid that Baz is plotting his demise, whilst also being concerned for Baz's well being. His irrationality is almost charming and begins to make more sense as the book progresses.

Then there's Baz who is a complicated little darling. He has an aggressive and snarky personality and likes to start up petty arguments with Simon to get him all flustered. Simon and everyone thinks Baz hates him. Baz knows otherwise.

I didn't expect much from the plot, and I'll admit, Carry On isn't a revolutionary fantasy. But I was wonderfully surprised at how the storyline developed towards the characters hunting down the person who killed Baz's mother instead of just focusing on the romance, and developing further towards an ending that I would have never expected.

The humour, the romance, and the story made this a book I simply adored. It isn't perfect, but for me it didn't have to be. Carry On is definitely a book I'll reread, and I will be reading more of Rainbow Rowell's books in the future.

2017 Reread: I was silly to think I wouldn't love this as much the second time around. I know the similarities with Harry Potter are numerous, but both times I've read this book I reached a point where it totally broke away for me and I fell in love. I also know that this book isn't a masterpiece. There are brackets everywhere and multiple first person persepctives and it has a slow start and it doesn't read entirely as a fantasy novel. (Plus Simon definitely reads as bisexual to me and I know he's figuring himself out but the word is never said.) But Carry On is sweet and dumb and funny and relatable and plain adorable, and somehow all of those things mush together to give it a place in my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

Quotes Helia Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Sharing a room with the person you want most is like sharing a room with an open fire.

He's constantly drawing you in. And you're constantly stepping too close. And you know it's not good--that there is no good--that there's absolutely nothing that can ever come of it.

But you do it anyway.
And then...
Well. Then you burn.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I know fuck-all about vampires. It’s not like I got an instruction pamphlet when I was bitten.”

Rainbow Rowell
“What you are is a fucking tragedy, Simon Snow. You literally couldn't be a bigger mess."
He tries to kiss me, but I pull back- "And you like that?"
"I love it." He says
"Why?"
"Because we match.”

Rainbow Rowell
“You were the sun, and I was crashing into you.”

November 30, 2015 – Shelved
November 30, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2016 – Started Reading
March 15, 2016 –
7.0% "This is the 4th book I've picked up today, and the first I haven't put down. Carry On is HILARIOUS and I'm barely into it."
March 16, 2016 –
42.0% "I'm actually having to force myself to stop reading right now. I love this book too much."
March 17, 2016 –
71.0% "R.I.P. me"
March 18, 2016 –
90.0% "GAHHHH"
March 18, 2016 –
100.0% "I loved this too much. Review to come!"
March 18, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 18, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
March 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 4, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse-reads
May 5, 2017 – Started Reading
May 7, 2017 –
page 65
12.55% "I love that Simon spends the entirety of that serious conversation eating"
May 13, 2017 –
page 150
28.96% "I forgot that part 1 of this book is really slow. Also that Baz isn't in it at all."
May 13, 2017 –
page 218
42.08% "Everything picks up when Baz arrives - or more precisely from the hopelessly line. He's so tragic"
May 14, 2017 –
page 356
68.73% "Those two chapters though"
May 14, 2017 –
page 437
84.36% "Finding out how the Humdrum works for even the second time still feels like such a reveal. I didn't expect it from this book."
May 14, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-standalones