karen's Reviews > Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice

Chew, Vol. 1 by John Layman

bookshelves: youre-a-graphic-novel, tastes-like-people

photo IMG_4387_zps86q9fugj.jpg

nom nom nom!!

why on earth did it take me so long to make my way over to this series? plenty of people were telling me to - kat stark straight-up recommended it to me with her words, and there were the passive recommendations in the form of glowing reviews from people like anne and jeff and that big bear melki! (who has read 450 books this year and that's just crazy. you have to trust a bear that reads more books than there are days in which to read them.) and then there was a crossover event between this and my beloved revival series… the point is - sometimes you gotta stick a horse's face in the water before she figures out how to drink.

and now that i know how to drink, i'm ready for a bender. i've bought the next two volumes already, and i cannot wait to dive in.

for those of you who haven't read this, all you need to know is that tony chu is an fda agent in a world where fda agents get the opportunity to be more badass than they do in our world. a typical day can involve some of this

photo IMG_4389_zpskirlerwr.jpg

or this

photo IMG_4382_zpsqez3tm21.jpg

or this

photo IMG_4381_zpsvjpkwpx3.jpg

see, chicken has been banned for human consumption after a bird flu pandemic made it a sketchy foodstuff and there's all kinds of chicken speakeasies to bust up and chicken smugglers to bring down and - YES - I SAID 'CHICKEN SPEAKEASIES!!!' I KNOW; IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT???!!!

but on top of all that, poor tony is also cibopathic, which is an unenviable condition where whatever he eats, he can see its paaaaaaast. so, he can see the tree from which an apple grew or he can see the last squealing shudders of a pig's death throes. and a lot of times, it's better not to know what's been done to your food.

photo IMG_4380_zpsbfhalymw.jpg

but then he finds a way to put his condition to good use. because his skills aren't limited to food. or, to look at it another way, anything or anyone is food to something.

grin.

so i loved it. i love amelia mintz, i love mason and i looooove tony chu.

photo IMG_4383_zpst5rvfahk.jpg

and considering how quickly things escalated in this volume, from "no i don't wanna!" to "sigh, okay then" to "nom nom nom imma GET you!"* i am super excited to see where this thing goes.

i mean, any book that has this kinda decadence:

photo IMG_4384_zpsxwkcz0wc.jpg  photo IMG_4385_zpsuvramvyu.jpg

that leads to this kinda houseparty aftermath

photo IMG_4379_zpsyqhyfvg4.jpg

is my kinda book. cannibalism is just the icing on the human remains-cake the way communism is just a red herring.

and i cannot wait

photo IMG_5379_zps9pgt0xzb.jpg

* zero of which are direct quotes, mind you...

come to my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chew, Vol. 1.

Started Reading
November 29, 2015 – Shelved
November 29, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Great review! I have to check this one out too, it's been recd to me so many times O_o

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura This has been a great series. A little uneven at times, and batsh*t crazy at others, but I have been enjoying it.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Happy New Year, Karen !!!

Aditya Bhattacharjee Happy new year Karen!!!

karen i think i'm going to catch up on the rest this year. i read the second book and have 3 and 4 on the reading table over there, waiting for me...

happy new year!! 2016 is gonna be fantastic!

message 6: by Emma Jones (new)

Emma Jones Ooh... I'm highly disturbed...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

HOW DID I MISS THIS. THIS MAKES ME SO DAMN HAPPY.

message 8: by Edith (new)

Edith the title of this looks like the title of jaws. theres a chunk tooken out of it...

karen wow, it has been a long time since i checked in to goodreads for real. yeesh - but YES - chicken speakeasies! although there's not enough about those, in my opinion, unless kat knows that there's more of 'em later? i'll probably read volume 3 this week, even though i should really be focused on catching up on reviews. nothing like a review written in the throes of a fever!! wheee!!!

karen Kat Stark wrote: "HOW DID I MISS THIS. THIS MAKES ME SO DAMN HAPPY."

and that makes ME happy.

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace Hahahaaha. I loved this series. I had forgotten all about how demented and awesome it was in equal measures.

karen it's bananas! i NEED to get my hands on those chew/revival crossovers.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Love your review as always. You write the best reviews and your my narwhal buddy :-). I love the new prof pic. It wouldn't let me comment on it so I'm doing it here!! So there :-)

FYI: Hipster will be ago after the 18th. I hope you understood my cryptic msg, covert msg, whatever. You know what I mean :-D

karen hahah i DO know what you mean! i wore narwhal socks yesterday and thought of you! ♥

message 15: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Jan 04, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You have narwhal socks *shiny eyes*

I'm glad you can understand me :-). It's nice to know someone can understand my weirdness :-D ❤

Marissa Love this series! Happy New Year :) Hope all is well!

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott Great review! Awesome series! I'm glad you finally got a chance to check it out. If only there was a way to know what we were going to absolutely love reading before we read it...

karen i know! we need book-luminol!

happy new year to YOU, marissa, queen of comics!!

ooh, and melissa, i also got some narwhal-fighting-unicorn socks for christmas, so i am dapper as can be!

message 19: by Fox (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fox Shamelessly praising you in my review of this one because holy crap I wish I'd read it sooner, and your review of vol. 12 got me to finally pick it up. x

karen hahahah it has been paid forward!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Poor dog 😭