Shira's Reviews > Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence

Wired for Story by Lisa Cron

19806749

bookshelves: writing, reseewhenediting

This book was good enough to check out twice, and I still plan to check it out again, once I've finished re-drafting my new outline. Once I finish my new protagonist. This book led me, I believe, to realize that the protag. I wanted to use for my #wip is not the right character for this particular story.
Cron uses fascinating brain research to explain both the psychology of reading, and even how the writer's brain works, and how all of this applies to writing a story. I highly recommend it, and would consider purchasing this book, despite my horror of keeping a book out of public circulation.

She gives the best integrated advice I have seen, not only discussing how to build the plot and theme and character, but insisting that Story is how your characters react to the plot, not the plot itself. She describes Story as defined by changing circumstances.

I'm sure I will be checking this book out again, to read again from start to finish, while letting my first draft rest.
In Service,
Shira

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired for Story.

November 29, 2015 – Shelved
November 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2019 – Started Reading
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: writing
June 24, 2019 –
page 2
0.76% "#amreading for my #novel #wip I #amwriting: powerful story can help rewire the brain and instill empathy"
June 24, 2019 –
page 27
10.31% "#amreading for #novel #wip #amwriting #theme reflected in how chars treat each other: how does that define what's possible/impossible in your story world?"
June 25, 2019 –
page 30
11.45% "#amreading for #novel #wip #amwriting So, #Theme controls the story ending. Explains why I could not pick an ending for H&H: I had not decided my Theme. So H and H lacked focus?"
June 25, 2019 –
page 31
11.83% "#amreading for #novel #wip #amwriting #Theme not only is The Point of the story, or the Takeaway though for readers, but also the way the world treats Protag. and how she reacts <- theme (so a love story for Louisa Jacobs Theme = theme type/setting in Loving, indiff, or cruel universe (#2) ...)"
page 199
75.95% "check #wip for "inadvertent setups" <- "And So?" test...
is there a clear pattern of Setup -> Payoff??
Are the payoffs logistically possible?"
page 218
83.21% "#novel Foreshadowing always beats flashbacks;

mk every subplot affect Protag, int &/or externally

is subplot/flashback change & need logic obvious on the page, & giving
new insight -> main plot?

foreshadowed Protag. out-of-char/surprise behavior/abilities??

does reader have enough info. to get what's happening?"
page 226
86.26% "while (re)writing each #wip scene: (chart this out, good idea)

what is happening objectively in the story's 'real world?'
what each char thinks is happening
Contradictions?
chars act according to their avail. info ('true' or not)?
do char actions mk sense for the info. they have at that time?"
July 24, 2019 – Shelved as: reseewhenediting