Sevairi's Reviews > Outsiders

Outsiders by Tammy Ferebee

** spoiler alert ** WARNING: This review contains spoilers, so read at your own risk there, fam. Also, swearing. Lots of it.

I'd like to send a giant (seriously, like, the size of the universe), long overdue (no joke) thank you to Tammy Ferebee, the author of this wonderful book, for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review. Honestly, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Now, to be honest, I don't even know how or where to start. Like, I just... Okay.

THE FUCKING GOOD:

1. THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE:

The thing that I loved most about reading Outsiders was that, for the first time in a long time, I could actually feel the amount of effort that was put into the novel itself. I could actually feel the love and dedication and hardship that goes with the daunting task of writing a novel. Of baring your soul on the page.

That's what it was. Soul. This book has soul carefully threaded into its pages, like the author actually cared more about what she was putting to paper than the amount of dollars it would make on shelves.

I like that shit. Outsiders has tons of it .

2. THE WRITING:

The writing was another thing I enjoyed. I think that part of the reason why I was taking so long to read this book is because I was just too busy soaking it all in and didn't want it to end. As I said earlier, while reading, I felt as if I could feel a good piece of the author's soul within the pages of the novel itself through the writing.

I really have no way to describe it other than simply being pulled in, mesmerized. The characters felt as real as any person I know; their emotions came off the page, the way the characters' individual relationships with each other grew felt genuine instead of rushed, like some books. The dialogue was realistic for a bunch of high schoolers, too.

I did find a few extra or misspelled words, as well as some grammar mistakes. But, they were so few and far between that I honestly forget when or where they occur in the novel.

3. THAT FUCKING AWESOME MC:

Jaylen motherfucking Hayes is by far one of my most favourite leading ladies to date. Definitely in my top ladies with Johanna Morrigan from How to Build a Girl and The Grisha Trilogy's Alina Starkov, among others. She's not a fucking idiot by any means. This girl has a HEAD on her shoulders and a BRAIN inside of it that she actually uses and I love it.

4. CHARACTER DIVERSITY:

Did I mention that our fucking awesome MC is also African-American? Not only that, but so is Michael, our love interest. I honestly can't remember the last time I read a novel that did not feature an all-white cast of characters. I really can't, and that really is a crying fucking shame, because our planet is filled with so many different races, cultures, nationalities and what-have-you and basically 98% (99%? I'm not good at math) of them just don't seem to be represented enough. It's so damn nice to see some real racial representation, for once.

5. WAIT, RELIGION?:

Before anybody says anything (and this is more just a personal thing than anything else), I'm not very religious by any means whatsoever. However, I did go to a Catholic elementary school as well as a Catholic high school when I was growing up. I'm not a good Catholic at all. I remember the prayers, yes, but I can barely stumble my way through the parts of the Mass. I mean, it's been years since I last went to church.

That being said, when I realized that the new high school Jaylen was going to be attending was in fact a Catholic school, that kind of brought me back a little. It faintly reminded me of my own high school days. Also, usually unless the book is sold as a religion-inspired book, nine times out of ten, world religions are hard to come by in YA. Even a larger one like Catholicism/Christianity. At least, that's what I've found, but maybe I'm just not finding those books very often. So, it was kind of a refreshing change of pace and a little bit nostalgic to see this.

(As a side note for anyone who may be wondering, this book is not all "praise God and love Jesus" for 332 pages. Not even close.)

6. FUCK YEAH, EXTRATERRESTRIALS:

Our beloved Jaylen and Michael, as well as Indigo, the third member of our beloved trio, are not human. They each are very attuned to each other's presence, i.e., they can physically feel each other's presence and that feeling can have affects on their bodies as well. Not to mention, they each have an incredible healing rate with no scars left behind, and they constantly have to stay hydrated in order to make sure they stay alive (like, more than your doctor's recommended daily water intake). They even have some special abilities, such as Michael's telekinesis and Indigo's invisibility.

7. FUCKING INDIGO.

I suppose you could say Indigo is our antagonist, and I almost want to say that she was written a little too well. I loved her, I hated her. I wanted both to hug her, and punch her in the face simultaneously. There were so many times when I found myself saying (or screaming), "FUCKING INDIGO!" and I'd want to throw the book across the room.

I actually think I might have, once.

She infuriates me so, but I still so, so love her. Not to mention, she's a bit of a bad bitch, let's be serious. I think she actually might be my favourite character from this book.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD (Or rather, 'things that weren't totally bad but still kind of bugged me'):

1. ROMANCE FUEL:

The plotline mostly revolves around Jaylen and Michael's relationship, how it grows and the turmoils they go through. However, while the romance fuels the plotline, it's not in a totally overwhelming way. I'm not usually one for books with these kinds of plot lines, but this time around, it felt kind of different. I mean, it still bugged me, but nowhere near enough to make me put the book down. But, maybe that's because I fucking loved that twist.

THE BAD:

THE FACT THAT THIS BOOK IS NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES FOR EVERYONE TO BUY

Seriously. If you can get your hands on a copy, I suggest you do so. This book will take you on a ride of emotions. The characters will stay with you long after you've finished reading, and it's a story you won't forget.

I can't wait for a second book. I want to know what happens next.

I really wasn't intending on doing this review in a list format but, whatever works, I guess. I honestly enjoyed this book so much. It's the first book I've ever received in exchange for review, and it holds a very special place in my heart.

Now, I just have to hold my breath and hope my manager doesn't mangle it while I let her borrow it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outsiders.

November 28, 2015 – Started Reading
November 28, 2015 – Shelved
November 29, 2015 –
page 15
November 29, 2015 –
page 20
5.88% "This religious talk is reminding me of my school days."
January 6, 2016 –
page 53
January 6, 2016 –
page 55
16.18% "Oh but why does this have to smell so much like instalove?"
January 9, 2016 –
page 72
January 9, 2016 –
page 80
23.53% "So I'm starting to think that I'm the same thing that Jaylen and Michael and Indigo are. Whatever that is?"
page 83
page 89
26.18% "Screaming instalove."
page 107
31.47% "YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSS!"
January 11, 2016 –
page 123
36.18% "Crying, god damn it."
January 12, 2016 –
page 132
January 12, 2016 –
page 133
39.12% "Bedroom thoughts are fun."
January 13, 2016 –
page 141
page 156
45.88% "Indigo is going to be a problem."
page 170
page 191
page 196
page 222
page 250
73.53% "DAMN IT IT'S GETTING GOOD AND IT's MIDNIGHT NOW AND I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW JSIDIFGJTFKRJF I CAN't TYPE ANYMORE. FUCK."
March 22, 2016 –
page 261
page 270
79.41% "OHHHHH SHIIIITTT"
page 300
page 319
93.82% "Thank god my high school colour wasn't yellow. I'd hate to have to wear a yellow graduation cap and gown."
page 332