Ivy Deluca's Reviews > The Cornerstone

The Cornerstone by Kate Canterbary

bookshelves: _arc-reads, military-or-ex-military-heroes

description
The Walshes still rock: In the fourth book regarding the Walsh Family siblings, we finally get to see what was hinted at in book three, namely Shannon Walsh, oldest girl child and the resident sister-mother to all the Walsh men, meets her match in Will Halsted, (heroine of book one) Lauren’s brother and tasty, dirty talkin’ NAVY Seal. Sigh. What a rocky road to romance it is.

There’s alot of goodness here, starting with the family dynamics of the Walsh siblings. These siblings are fully developed, complex, multi-layered characters. They are lovable, but not necessarily easy to love and that’s a good thing. They aren’t perfect idealizations of what you think siblings should be, but fascinating character studies in how family can love you, break you and build you up like nothing else in this world. I was genuinely surprised when another layer in the onion that is Angus Walsh, the patriarch and all around bastard, is peeled back. I wasn’t expecting it but it explains alot (more on that later). I also love that the spouses for the Walshes are interesting in their own right. I’m just impressed at how these characters come alive, and that’s all due to Ms. Canterbary’s talent. Each story gets better and better, as Ms. Canterbary hits her stride in storytelling. I don’t always agree with her storyline choices, but I’m willing to go along for the ride.

Shannon’s a badass thru and thru: Shannon’s fantastic. She’s like any other Canterbary heroine, which means she’s wonderful and loving, snarky and difficult, and most of all, she is never boring. She has a tendency to helicopter-mom her siblings. It’s behavior ingrained in her since her childhood. She’s spent so much of her life making sure that her family survived and even thrived despite her dick of a father. She’s defined herself through her love and caring for her siblings, to the detriment of her own personal life. It’s her journey to figure out who she is when she is not taking care of her brothers, and I loved seeing her learn to finally let go and take care of herself.

I always thought her story would be intriguing, but I didn’t realize how deep that damage that Angus inflicted went. I would have loved to have seen more of that explored, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it addressed in her sister’s story, because there’s a storm a-brewing there. In any event, I completely understood her ball-busting attitude (that never felt truly mean), but she needed a man like Will to love her. And boy, does he ever.

Will has joined my stable: My girl Michelle and I have been bickering on Messenger because she insists he’s her new book husband. I told her that’s impossible since he’s too busy servicing me. The fight may rage on, but that’s only because Will is a hero worthy of adoration. I mean, show me hottie military guy and yeah, you got my attention. But when you combine that hotness with the emotional honesty of Will? Damn, that’s a keeper.

Will owns his own shyte. He knows he can be a meathead, but he’s a truly stand up guy. He gets off on Shannon’s take no prisoners attitude, and he gives it back to her every single time. He has a fantastic way of calling her on her BS, but the reader is never in doubt that he respects her. He makes his mark on this story, which isn’t easy to do because Shannon is a force of nature. I would have liked to have seen more of his career crossroads, but I’ll admit I was waaaay too busy loving their chemistry to be too upset. Speaking of...

Will and Shannon’s chemistry? Shit-hot: I mean, it’s redonkulus how their chemistry worked for me. Their text messages just made me laugh out loud so many times and I swear my kindle was one gigantic highlight anytime they started snarking together. When stories are focused on the leads trying to keep to a sex-only relationship, the true test for the author to not get lost in just hot sex scenes. Don’t get me wrong, the sex is great. Their banter though? It took that great sex and raised it to another level.

Line crossed: Unfortunately this is a personal bias of mine, but I did try to keep my objectivity while reading it and while writing this review. Let me be clear, the quality of the writing is excellent. There is ALOT that I truly enjoyed about this story and so much going for it. If not for this ONE plot point, I could have seen myself making this a five star read. I just can’t ignore it though - it is a no-no for me and furthermore, I truly don’t think that it enhanced the story in any way.

It is a bit of a spoiler, so for those who don’t want to know look away. For those spoiler hos, proceed at your own risk.

(view spoiler)

Anyhoodle, moving on.

Teaser for more: Back to the positive (because I did enjoy so much of it), I love the seeds that Ms. Canterbary dropped for the continuation of this series, such as Will’s future co-workers. Also, I cannot wait to learn more about the prodigal sister Erin, who has some intriguing tidbits divulged about her in this book. Finally, I am crossing my fingers that a certain military hottie and a certain executive assistant get to meet and hopefully spark. There’s loads of possibilities and I’m eager to explore them, just as soon as Ms. Canterbary can write it out.

description
I really enjoyed this. One minor issue aside, I think it’s the best story of the bunch, with a really great hero in Will and a complex, badass heroine in Shannon. If you haven’t checked out the Walsh series, you should. It keeps getting better and better. I can’t wait to see what’s next.

**ARC provided by author for review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cornerstone.

November 28, 2015 – Shelved
November 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 28, 2015 – Shelved as: military-or-ex-military-heroes
November 28, 2015 – Shelved as: _arc-reads
December 1, 2015 – Started Reading
December 4, 2015 –
84.0% "This may be the best book of the series. LOVE the text messages, and the characters are funny and the sex is crazy hot. There's only one plot point that makes me stabby, otherwise it'd be just about perfect for me."
December 4, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by CC (new) - added it

CC Fabulous review!

message 2: by Ivy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivy Deluca CC wrote: "Fabulous review!"

Thanks CC :)

~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews Ok just to be clear (view spoiler) Thanks I can't ever forget what happened in the last book as their "break" and subsequent other woman issue happened within 30 minutes. How long were they or they on break in this one before she sleeps around?

message 4: by Ivy (last edited Dec 07, 2015 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivy Deluca ~Nichole~ Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews wrote: "Ok just to be clear [spoilers removed] Thanks I can't ever forget what happened in the last book as their "break" and subsequent other woman issue happened within 30 minutes. How long were they or ..."

(view spoiler) I still don't agree with the choice, but it is what it is.

message 6: by Courtney (last edited Dec 09, 2015 05:42PM) (new) - added it

Courtney Great review Ivy! I can't wait to read this tomorrow, I'm in the mother of all book slumps at the moment, haven't read anything new in over a month-nothing looks interesting!!! UGH! I was kind of disappointed with Walk Through Fire, so I'm trying to work up the motivation to read Sebring.

Judy.Ca Fantastic review Ivy! I'm just about to start this one and I'm dying to read what's in your 'spoiler' but I'm going to try and ignore it's there (I can admit to being a spoiler ho!!)

message 8: by Ivy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivy Deluca Judy.Ca wrote: "Fantastic review Ivy! I'm just about to start this one and I'm dying to read what's in your 'spoiler' but I'm going to try and ignore it's there (I can admit to being a spoiler ho!!)"

Thanks Judy :) It's best to go in blind and see if it affects you the same way it did me - may not, but the rest I absolutely adored.

Judy.Ca Ivy wrote: "Judy.Ca wrote: "Fantastic review Ivy! I'm just about to start this one and I'm dying to read what's in your 'spoiler' but I'm going to try and ignore it's there (I can admit to being a spoiler ho!!..."

I think I will this time...I'm hoping to love this one because Sam & Tiel didn't do it for me...but I have liked Shannon all along...and who can resist a hot yet sweet military man?? :)

Judy.Ca Just finished and by far this was the best! I was able to refrain from your spoiler...lol...and now after getting the whole picture I agree with you that it wasn't necessary. However, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It bothered me more finding out about (view spoiler). But I loved both Will and Shannon :)

message 11: by Ivy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivy Deluca Judy.Ca wrote: "Just finished and by far this was the best! I was able to refrain from your spoiler...lol...and now after getting the whole picture I agree with you that it wasn't necessary. However, it didn't bot..."

I really enjoyed the rest of the story that I could deal with it and I admit it's a personal bias. (view spoiler)

Judy.Ca Ivy wrote: "Judy.Ca wrote: "Just finished and by far this was the best! I was able to refrain from your spoiler...lol...and now after getting the whole picture I agree with you that it wasn't necessary. Howeve..."

Yes, I felt the same way and I agree, I think we'll get more of the story in Erin's book :)