Ron's Reviews > The Soul Mirror

The Soul Mirror by Carol Berg

Feb 02, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

** spoiler alert ** Excellent. Maybe not a pure five, but pretty close. The uncomfortable collision of magic, science and faith with exemplars of each worldview makes good reading, especially as the POV character shifts in her own understanding and feelings about her world. (Once I figured out there are two kinds of magic in this world, things became a little clearer.)

Curiously, these are called "novel[s] of the Collegia Magica," but little of the story in either book takes place at the college. In fact, while this book opens at the college, that's the only scene set there.

This POV character was more believable that that of The Spirit Lens. Of course, the reader of that book has an advantage over Ani in knowing who she should trust at court. (And we all know about Dante, even if Berg didn't tell us, because that's the kind of story she tells.)

Of course, I figured out who the mystery bad guy was long before Berg revealed it, but that was simple elimination. Everyone else had a double life, so of course the one who apparently didn't did. ;-)

More satisfying conclusion than the first book, even though neither finished the stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul Mirror.

February 2, 2011 – Shelved
February 11, 2011 – Started Reading
February 11, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 12, 2011 –
0.0% "Ah, new POV character. Antagonistic to the first book's. Cool!"
February 13, 2011 –
44.0% "Portier has twice told Anne he'll send a contact but not identified him/her. We know what that means. ;-)"
February 14, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Did you mean 'conclusion' in your last sentence instead of 'collusion'?

More satisfying collusion than the first book, even though neither finished the stories.

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Thanks. You also reminded me to mark it as a potential spoiler. (Not that that would have slowed you down. ;-)

message 3: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon BTW, you don't have to mark an entire review spoiler if you don't want to. If you only have a sentence or a paragraph that is 'spoilerish', then you can flag it with the new spoiler tags. Click on the (some html is ok) link for more information or I can e-mail you the details.

message 4: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron You posted that comment three weeks ago and I finally looked in "(some html is ok)" to discover all sorts of toys. Thank you.

message 5: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Glad I could help (belatedly or not). :)

message 6: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Not your fault that I'm so slow! ;-)