Jennifer Masterson's Reviews > I Let You Go

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Nov 27, 2015

bookshelves: audio, favorites-2016, tissues-needed

Bravo! Bravo Ms. Mackintosh for completely blowing my mind and making me an emotional wreck! 4.5 Stars rounded up to 5! 5 ++++ Stars for phenomenal narration! I didn't figure this one out! Fantastic book! Wonderful audio! I can't believe this was a debut!

This is a hard book to review without giving away spoilers. What I will say is that this novel starts out as a simple but devastating crime of hit and run. A five year old boy is dead. Jenna Gray's life is changed forever. She runs off to a seaside town in Wales and begins to start her life over again. Then bam!!! A major twist happens in the story and everything changes. The book then takes off and twists and turns.

That's all I'm going to say about "I Let You Go". Stop reading reviews and get this book!!!

The only reason I docked this book half a star was because of the pacing in the beginning. I thought it was just a tad slow until part 2, but boy did part 2 make up for part 1!!!

Highly recommended to fans of psychological thriller/mystery books!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Let You Go.

November 27, 2015 – Shelved
November 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 9, 2016 – Started Reading
June 9, 2016 –
35.0% "Ho hum...I thought this was supposed to twist and turn and blow my mind? I like the dog and the vet!"
June 10, 2016 –
50.0% "Part 2 and Bam something is happening! Woot! Bring on the crazy! Lol ;)"
June 11, 2016 –
75.0% "I'm on a roller coaster of emotion with this book! I need my Kleenex!!!"
June 12, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites-2016
June 12, 2016 – Shelved as: audio
June 13, 2016 – Shelved as: tissues-needed
June 13, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Dem (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dem Have this on my TR list so look forward to your thoughts when finished Jennifer.

Jennifer Masterson Dem wrote: "Have this on my TR list so look forward to your thoughts when finished Jennifer."

Thank you, Dem! :)

Myrna If you've read a lot of thrillers/suspense books, this isn't as exciting.

Jennifer Masterson Myrna wrote: "If you've read a lot of thrillers/suspense books, this isn't as exciting."

Thanks, Myrna. Hopefully the story makes up for the lack of thrills. :)

Myrna Jennifer wrote: "Myrna wrote: "If you've read a lot of thrillers/suspense books, this isn't as exciting."

Thanks, Myrna. Hopefully the story makes up for the lack of thrills. :)"

The second half gets better.

Jennifer Masterson Myrna wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Myrna wrote: "If you've read a lot of thrillers/suspense books, this isn't as exciting."

Thanks, Myrna. Hopefully the story makes up for the lack of thrills. :)"

The second half ..."

Oh cool! Thanks, Myrna! :)

Jennifer I thought this book was so preposterous! (Of course, I didn't want to put it down and read waaayyy past my bedtime to finish). I, too, am surprised by all the glowing 5+ star accolades.

Jennifer Masterson Jennifer wrote: "I thought this book was so preposterous! (Of course, I didn't want to put it down and read waaayyy past my bedtime to finish). I, too, am surprised by all the glowing 5+ star accolades."

Lol! I remember your review saying you couldn't stop reading it even though it was so preposterous, Jennifer! Too funny! :)

Suzanne Glad it turned around for you and was a fiver!!

Jennifer Masterson Suzanne wrote: "Glad it turned around for you and was a fiver!!"

OMG! I'm a mess! I hope I can sleep! Lol! This went from 0 to 80 mph within seconds with that first twist and never let go! Thank you, Suzanne!!! :) <3

message 11: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Awesome review, Jennifer. You have talked me into reading this one. LOL

message 12: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Jeez, now I have to get this one sooner rather than later!

Jennifer Masterson Diane S ☔ wrote: "Awesome review, Jennifer. You have talked me into reading this one. LOL"

Thank you, Diane! I'm going to write a little more but this book is so hard to review without giving spoilers. I look forward to your thoughts on it! :)

Jennifer Masterson Melanie wrote: "Jeez, now I have to get this one sooner rather than later!"

Thanks, Melanie! It's so good once it takes off. I look forward to your thoughts on this one! :)

message 16: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Great review, Jennifer! :)

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "*wants*"

Hurray!!! I hope you like it, Shelby! :D

Jennifer Masterson Candace wrote: "Great review, Jennifer! :)"

Thank you, Candace! :)

Jennifer Yay! I loved this one too Jennifer ❤️

Jennifer Masterson Stephanie wrote: "Sounds awesome!!!"

Thank you, Stephanie! It was so good! :)

Jennifer Masterson Jennifer wrote: "Yay! I loved this one too Jennifer ❤️"
It turned out to be so good, Jennifer! :) <3

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer Masterson Jennifer wrote: "This is sitting on my shelf from the library. I can't wait to get to it!!! Great review!"

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I can't wait to hear what you think of this book! :)

Camie I don't read many thrillers, but I shared this book at my recent Bookclub party as one I can't wait to read.

Taryn Wonderful review! This is one of the few suspense novels that made me gasp and have to go back and reread a few chapters!

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz Boom! Love your review Jennifer! I may have to this one a try, sounds pretty awesome. :-)

Marilyn C. That's a lot of enthusiasm for a book that stated off so slow!!! I will have to look into this one. Great review:))

Chelsea Humphrey Fantastic review!!

Barbara Wow! I better add this!!

Jennifer Masterson Camie wrote: "I don't read many thrillers, but I shared this book at my recent Bookclub party as one I can't wait to read."

This is so much more than a thriller, Camie. It's a well written story and the characters are so well done. I can't wait for your thoughts on the book. It will be interesting to see if you like it since you don't read many thrillers. :)

Jennifer Masterson Taryn wrote: "Wonderful review! This is one of the few suspense novels that made me gasp and have to go back and reread a few chapters!"

Thank you so much, Taryn! Same here. I had to go back, too. I listened to the audio so I kept rewinding! :)

Melisa - Traveling Sister Yeah! Agree with everything you said. It was fun reading along with you, love the enthusiasm!

Jennifer Masterson Liz wrote: "Boom! Love your review Jennifer! I may have to this one a try, sounds pretty awesome. :-)"

Thank you so much, Liz! If you read it it will be interesting to see what you think of it! :)

Jennifer Masterson Marilyn wrote: "That's a lot of enthusiasm for a book that stated off so slow!!! I will have to look into this one. Great review:))"

Thank you so much, Marilyn! You just have to hang in until part 2. Then it all happens and keeps happening! :)

Jennifer Masterson Chelsea wrote: "Fantastic review!!"

Thank you so much, Chelsea! :)

Jennifer Masterson Barbara wrote: "Wow! I better add this!!"

Hurray! I can't wait to hear what you think of this one, Barbara! :)

Jennifer Masterson Melisa wrote: "Yeah! Agree with everything you said. It was fun reading along with you, love the enthusiasm!"

Thank you so much, Melisa! I had a blast reading along with you! :D

message 38: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy So glad to see that you loved the book and the audio! I'm on my library/Overdrive's wait list for this - excited to get it!

Jennifer Masterson Suzy wrote: "So glad to see that you loved the book and the audio! I'm on my library/Overdrive's wait list for this - excited to get it!"

Thank you so much, Suzy! Just to let you know I usually have a hard time with British accents. Not with this audiobook. The narrators were excellent! :). I hope you like the book! :)

Petra Yay, loved this, too. Agree, the audio was fantastic!

Jennifer Masterson Petra wrote: "Yay, loved this, too. Agree, the audio was fantastic!"

Thank you, Petra! I usually have trouble with accents but this was so smooth. Awesome narrators! I'm so glad you loved it, too! :)

Brenda Yes! Your reaction mirrored mine! I thought it was awesome.

message 43: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Great review Jennifer. I had kind of shelved reading thrillers for a while, but this one keeps getting enthusiastic reviews. I might have to give it a try.

message 44: by Dana (new)

Dana Ok, you've convinced me with this great review - I'm reading it (listening) next! Thank you! :D

Kelli I better get this on audio then, huh? I've wanted to read it for a long while.

Jennifer Masterson Brenda wrote: "Yes! Your reaction mirrored mine! I thought it was awesome."

Thanks, Brenda! I'm so glad you loved this one, too! :D

Jennifer Masterson Esil wrote: "Great review Jennifer. I had kind of shelved reading thrillers for a while, but this one keeps getting enthusiastic reviews. I might have to give it a try."

Thank you so much, Esil! This one is so much more than a thriller! It's such an emotional novel! The author's note at the end left me bawling. If you read it I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :)

message 48: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 13, 2016 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Masterson Dana wrote: "Ok, you've convinced me with this great review - I'm reading it (listening) next! Thank you! :D"

Thank you so much, Dana! Hurray!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of this one! :D <3

message 49: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 13, 2016 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Masterson Kelli wrote: "I better get this on audio then, huh? I've wanted to read it for a long while."

This one I think you might enjoy, Kelli! I could be wrong, but I think you might like this one. I can't wait for your thoughts on it if you do listen to it. :D

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I just picked this up from the library. Another 5 Star review = me excited to read it : )

« previous 1 3