Darby's Reviews > The Zahir

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

Feb 04, 2008

bookshelves: own, contemporary-fiction, drama-romance, spirituality, favorites, 2012, inspirational
Read in December, 2005

As I have said in other reviews of Coelho's books...I am a big fan of Paulo Coelho's work. I can say that he is my favorite author.

I remember reading The Valkyries being so touched by it that I bought it for friends to share. Many of his titles are a part of my permanent library.

Okay so all that say I was a little disappointed by The Zahir. I read somewhere that Coelho puts himself into many of his books....where he tells tales from his life just retold in a magical story that transforms the way we look at the world. So with that in mind I read The Zahir...it actually disappointed me. When I read it just as a book to enjoy and maybe get a life lesson from...then it was a better book but still not one that really got to me like his other books. Because I don't believe there is that moment of transformation for any of the main characters which we've come to expect from Coelho's books.

Buy the rest of Coelho's books. Loan them to friends. Keep them in your library so you can read them again and again. But if you really want to read this one, maybe check it out from the public library first. I want all his books in my personal library so I still bought it.

EDIT 9/3/12:
I changed it from 3 stars to 4 stars. I have changed my mind completely about this book. I have found that with Coelho's books I need to read them when the time is right for me. I don't usually understand why I am picking his book up in the moment other than I like his books. But usually what happens it is the book I needed to read that book in that moment. The same happened with The Zahir - I actually was going to reread Eleven Minutes but thought of all the books I have of his I really should give The Zahir another chance and so glad I did. As usual with his books I came away with messages I was needing to hear/read. It touched me just as his other books have and thankful to have this book on my shelves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zahir.

Quotes Darby Liked

Paulo Coelho
“It's not my story anymore: whenever I speak about the past now, I feel as if I were talking about something that has nothing to do with me. All that remains in the present are the voice, the presence, and the importance of fulfilling my mission. I don't regret difficulties I experienced; I think they helped me to become the person I am today, I feel the way a warrior must feel after years of training; he doesn't remember the details of everything he learned, but he knows how to strike when the time is right.”
Paulo Coelho, The Zahir