Cathy's Reviews > Emily and Einstein

Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee

Feb 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, first-reads, magical-realism, new-york, publishing-magazines
Read from February 20 to March 07, 2011 — I own a copy

This was a good read...although I'm only giving it three stars because I felt like if it had a little more momentum throughout the novel, it would have been even better! By the last 70 to 100 pages or so, I was relaly racing to finsih it (as I so often do with books) but other than that, while the story was enjoyable, events and characters never really "took off" so to speak - it was all sort of humdrum, take it or leave it. I suppose, maybe in a book that tackles the topic of death maybe it's difficult to have an overly excited, or fast paced storyline but there was definitely a lot that went on in this book that could have garnered more excitement in its tone. This was my first book by Linda Francis Lee and I guess I assumed it would be a more classical chick lit type bok so I was kind of surprise when I realized that it carried the theme of magical realism throughout. I wasn't sure if it would be believable or too much, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable while maintaining other themes such as family, betrayal, hope and forgiveness. I will most definitely be checking out more of LFL book's in the future and looking into more of her earlier releases.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily and Einstein.

05/17/2016 marked as: read