Brian Steele's Reviews > Badass: The Birth of a Legend: Spine-Crushing Tales of the Most Merciless Gods, Monsters, Heroes, Villains, and Mythical Creatures Ever Envisioned

Badass by Ben Thompson

Feb 02, 2011

bookshelves: general-reviews, non-fiction, humor, giveaway-winner

How does one even begin to write a review on this book? I won this epic volume of insanity thanks to a Goodreads giveaway - they know me so well! Legend has it that author Ben Thompson writes some type of Badass blog concerning all things "Badass." I don't doubt this.

The preview version of the book that I received was separated into four basic sections; Gods, Heroes, Villains, and Monsters. The author proceeds to spin the tales of these supremely awesome individuals and entities in a manner that is reminiscent of a drunk 8 year old. (This is not necessarily a bad thing.) Some of the lines in this book had me literally laughing so hard I found myself choking. However, other times the humor seemed a bit forced and (let's be honest here) I think Ben is a bit too obsessed with testicles.

A majority of the entries I found to be pure kickass. However, after X amount on Viking warriors, Hindu blood-deities and Russian cannibal-witches, an entry on Captain Kirk just doesn't fit. I think I would have preferred it had Thompson either went all out on Myths, Legends & Lore or stuck with modern imaginary figures from entertainment. The two just don't gel together so well.

Regardless, this book is hysterical, fun and actually informative. (Kind of.) If you can giggle through the John Woo analogies, the video game references and the idea of Zeus pimp-slapping someone with lightning bolt from his balls... well, you'll love this bizarre collection of Badasses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Badass.