Vippi's Reviews > Thief of Lies

Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss

~ARC Kindly provided by Netgalley and Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review~

Generally, I rate a book 2 stars when it misses “that something special” to impress me. In this case, the situation is precisely the other way around, though.
This book starts from a cool premise that any booklover will adore (“Gia, you can never be lonely in the company of books”) and presents many original and interesting ideas. The problem is that Thief of Lies is saturated with too, too many different ideas, all of them only superficially developed.

In Thief of Lies you can find: fast action, tons of secrets, a hidden child, a Mystik world intertwined with the human world, insta-love, a prophecy, riddles, a hint of love triangle*, Sentinels descending from ancient knights, magic, betrothals, forbidden love, another hidden child, DNA manipulations, visions from the past, changelings, monsters, wizards, seers, pseudo-vampires, Faes, intricate family bonds**, magic spells in Italian (which, apparently, is Latin 2.0) ***, undercover spies, the end of the world, absurd eye-roll worthy awkward romantic scenes****.

The result? At the end, I felt overwhelmed and confused: everything happens too fast, characters are flat, the worldbuilding is thin and inconsistent, the magical system is only sketched and not deeply explained… and what about libraries & books? They’re just the marginal backdrop to the story, useful portals to jump from one part of the world to another and nothing more.

*Needless to say that both the two guys are extremely hot and super-sexy – a concept (their sexiness) repeated ad nauseam.

***Sadly there are even some imprecisions/mistakes in the Italian formulas…

****An example?
He gave me a crooked smile, his gaze dropping to my chest.
“Did you just check out my boobs?” I whispered. Please say yes.
“No.” He smirked. “Okay, yes. I am a guy.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief of Lies.

November 27, 2015 – Shelved
November 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
January 4, 2016 – Started Reading
January 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Emily S. (new) - added it

Emily S. This is EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now. I'm giving it to 25% to get better, and then I'm DNFing it. Super awesome premise, awful execution.

Vippi Emily S. wrote: "This is EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now. I'm giving it to 25% to get better, and then I'm DNFing it. Super awesome premise, awful execution."

Totally agree with you... the premise is stunning, but, sadly, the execution ruins everything :/

message 3: by Twila (new)

Twila This book sounds like a crazy blend of random. I hope you enjoy your next read more Vippi :)

Vippi Thank you Twila! :)
I'm starting Calamity by Sanderson: It can't upset me :D