Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness

Psychiatric Tales by Darryl Cunningham

Feb 01, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-comics, non-fiction, psychology, short-stories, biography, reviewed
Recommended for: those who have motivation to understand various mental illnesses & those who suffer with them
Read on April 21, 2011

I picked up this book and I didn’t put it down until I’d finished it. Luckily, it’s a really quick read. I was able to fully appreciate the graphic form of these stories. I admire the author for trying to describe mental illnesses to potential readers who might not otherwise understand them. I think, given the brevity of the work, he does a reasonably good job accomplishing what he intended to do. It’s hard for me to determine if readers knowing nothing about mental illnesses will be even close to adequately educated if they read this book, but it would be a start.

I enjoyed these graphic stories., both the stories and the art. They’re an entertaining and somewhat effective way to describe and take the stigma away from various mental illnesses. The author-artist describes patients he met while training to become a mental health nurse. The account became emotionally powerful when, in the last section, he describes his own difficulties with depression and anxiety, and how he was able to cope and thrive despite these illnesses. Everything from dementia to anti-social personality disorder to schizophrenia to self-harm to bipolar disorder, to depression, etc. is covered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psychiatric Tales.

Sarah I've been looking forward to reading this but I forgot about it for a while. I hope it's good.

Lisa Vegan Sarah wrote: "I've been looking forward to reading this but I forgot about it for a while. I hope it's good."

Me too. I'm actually in the middle of another book right now, but once I have books home from the library, I put them on my currently reading shelf. It's very intriguing.