Flora's Reviews > Let Us Now Praise Famous Men

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee

Feb 04, 2008

bookshelves: my-very-very-favorites, hard-to-say, essays-and-or-assorted-criticism-an, photography

Reading this book is like hanging on to the back of someone on roller skates racing top-speed down a steep hill, with no brakes. There are few books that explore with such rigor the impossibility -- and necessary ideal -- of perfect perspective, or have the audacity to admit melancholy as an action (albeit an insufficent one), not just a solipsistic response to the aesthetic sufferings of others. The maddening ambivalence of this book, and its self-consuming doubt and belief in what it is doing, underscores the headlong, megalomanical under-confidence of the (whether you like it or not) inimitable prose. This is the only book I can think of that isn't sure if it's a book at all, and yet is more of one than most. Recently, William T. Vollmann tried with "Poor People" to attempt something similar, and equally improbable, but no matter how sincere his intent, it simply didn't have the nerve to fail. Agee is willing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

Finished Reading
February 4, 2008 – Shelved
March 14, 2008 – Shelved as: my-very-very-favorites
April 5, 2008 – Shelved as: hard-to-say
April 5, 2008 – Shelved as: essays-and-or-assorted-criticism-an
April 13, 2008 – Shelved as: photography

Justin Hegstad "This is the only book I can think of that isn't sure if it's a book at all, and yet is more of one than most." That about does it. Well said.