Michelle's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Feb 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: suspense, young-adult, 3-stars-interesting, library-books, ya-contemp

First off, I want to emphasize that this rating was not because I didn't like the book. I just felt that it didn't deserve a higher rating. It was a hard decision on whether to rate it 3 or 4 stars. On to the review.

“It was nice - in the dark and the quiet... and her eyes looking back, like there was something in me worth seeing.”

Summary from Goodreads:

"When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night - dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q."

The title is appropriately named; Margo had told Q that Orlando was just a "Paper Town" with "Paper People", where there was no depth or dimension and everything was fake. She later mentions (view spoiler). The concept of paper towns was mentioned frequently.

If you read the book without knowing the author, one would most likely guess it was John Green. The charming wit and emotional intensity he puts into his books is definitely a trademark for Mr. Green. I have only fully read 2 of his books, this one and The Fault in Our Stars (which I thoroughly enjoyed), and although this was a good story, it did not and could not compare to TFiOS. I literally could not put TFiOS down, but for this book it seemed that it got boring around the middle. Before starting it, I expected Margo and Q's midnight adventure to last at least half of the book, but it only took up about 80 pages, which was pretty upsetting. The next 150 pages of the book is just about Q & Co. finding clues that would lead to Margo. The ending was extremely abrupt and a bit confusing. I didn't feel sorry for Margo and I still don't understand her intentions.

On the bright side, as with other J.G. novels, the characters were very round characters, and you felt what they felt and thought what they thought. You feel like you really know them as you read about them. Many parts of the book made me laugh, but I can safely say that I did not feel dismal when reading this. It just didn't reach me as TFiOS did. I'm not exactly disappointed, but not content either.

My favorite part of the book is the beginning, a.k.a. the "midnight adventure" with M & Q. I believe that was the strongest and most engaging part of the book, because it showed Margo in a different, better light. And of course, I was really interested in learning about the 11 things on the list. ;)

Wonderful writing, but not as emotionally gripping as other books I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

February 1, 2011 – Shelved