Lance Schonberg's Reviews > Moving Mars

Moving Mars by Greg Bear

liked it
bookshelves: 2021-reading-list, award-nebula, science-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read September 10, 2021.

I originally read this one a year or so after it first came out. I'd read and enjoyed a couple of Mr. Bear's earlier works. I finished it oddly unsatisfied, but in my early 20s unable to put my finger on exactly why. At 50, that's a little easier.

This is a book with well-realized main character and mostly distinctive secondaries, a well-drawn world, a solid plot, and lots of big ideas, both scientific and political. Blended together, that dunks it into my wheelhouse. But it's also being told by the primary POV character decades after the events it's relating and there's no secret of that from very early on. It's a fictional memoir that makes it obvious it's a fictional memoir.

And I hate that. Every mention of how she's writing from somewhere much farther along in her life throws me out of the story. It's a literary device that drives me crazy, stealing any sense of immediacy from events surrounding each mention, and usually striking as a clumsy attempt at some kind of foreshadowing. Mr. Bear is a better writer than that. Drop that sentence whenever it happens and I would probably go four stars, but my disbelief got broken too many times by the same problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moving Mars.

Finished Reading