Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction, adult, audio-books, 2015-reads, harpercollins, 2014-release

This was just okay for me, but that might be because I listened to Yes Please directly after Leah Remini's Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, which in hindsight was probably a disservice. But whatever, this wasn't as funny as I was hoping it'd be, and I think I laughed the hardest at the last chapter.

I think the main issue is just that Amy Poehler's life isn't as fascinating to hear about. And I realize this is a pretty odd thing to say given that this is in fact an autobiography an all. But I guess what I'm trying to say is... what was the point here? Was there something groundbreaking that happened in her life that demanded to be written about? Not from what I read.

The narrative was choppy and Poehler flips to different parts of her life on a whim, not following any sort chronological order or sense. This made for a confusing listening experience for me at times. There were certain parts that I did find interesting: finding out how she and Tina met, Seth Meyers' narration, the controversy around her controversial SNL skit and... that's about it for the most part. The rest I could have easily done without.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

Started Reading
November 26, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reads
November 26, 2015 – Shelved as: harpercollins
November 26, 2015 – Shelved as: 2014-release
November 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Epizeuxis (last edited Nov 27, 2015 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Epizeuxis Now that I think about it, you have a point: Poehler's life isn't all that exciting to read about, so far as celebrity upbringings go. I blame my higher rating on my feeling nostalgic for Parks and Recreation.

Experiment BL626 You know, this is similar to how I felt about Tina Fey's autobiography. They must have used the same ghost writer or something.

Samantha I downloaded this and Leah Remini's books at the same time for my commute. I am currently listening to Yes Please and Troublemaker is next. Glad to know I saved the best for last!

message 4: by Che (new) - rated it 1 star

Che I couldn't have said it better. We had the same experience (except I didn't read Leah's book yet.). This book is sooo skippable.

Carmen Great review.