Ana O's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: classics, romance-contemporary-and-ya

“We are all fools in love.”

www_pride

Why have I not read this sooner?

I must admit, I didn't initially understand all the fuss surrounding this novel. I did not understand why so many millions of readers love it. It seemed to me they were all a bunch of romantic fools. Now that I am 'one of them', I can report back that the Pride and Prejudice fandom is actually full of normal people who care passionately about the characters.

I instantly fell in love with the story and its amazing characters. Marvellous, magnificent, superb, delightful... Just some words to describe how great this novel is.

I’m so damn sick and tired of hearing about 'alpha males' and how women just love them and how 'they're so hot'. I love beta men/nice guys.

It's refreshing to read about a hero who doesn't have to use foul language and violence to get attention and power.

photo 77b137222870b98b99f3eebba841e9e9_zpsdlamirnj.jpg

Mr Darcy is a gentleman. He is intelligent and wellinformed, competent, cool-headed, strong, yet silent. He is also arrogant and prideful. Hey, nobody's perfect. He suffers from a social shyness and awkwardness that is received by others as rudeness.

photo mr-darcy-white-shirt-med_zps3t92yjtj.jpg

Mr. Darcy stands the test of time because he recognizes Elizabeth as an equal, he is not threatened by her intelligence and outspoken personality. In fact, Darcy appreciates all those traits.

They're such different people but alike in many ways. He and Elizabeth have such respect for each other, and I think that's what makes the romance in Pride and Prejudice such a success.

photo anigif_enhanced-26221-1413486337-9_zpszuxgmkzm.gif

photo c747d9ee17104f60f3884dd995b9ad09_zpsosdyn3ek.jpg

And now I'm just going to compare every man to him and basically, I'm ruined forever. FOREVER.

photo f79eb31989e9c9b47758635e3d13e5ca88c1f41f59bd6df26e9ccc6cc8328712_zps4l6m5g3g.jpg

And let's not forget his estate.

photo Be6H54VIgAAvC6t_zps3eedqihv.jpg

Sure, Mr Darcy has his issues and his flaws (so many times I wanted to scream at him and Elizabeth to get over themselves and talk already, I mean come on just get together already good grief this is ridiculous).

Antigone, Annabeth Chase, Arya Stark, Scout Finch, Clarice Starling and Scarlett O'Hara are pretty much guaranteed on any of my favourite heroines lists and now I can add Elizabeth Bennet to that list too.

Elizabeth is such an admirable heroine. And boy is she one smart tough cookie. She stands up for herself and those who matter to her, she loves to read and she thinks for herself. She is a woman far ahead of her time.

If you haven't read this yet, read it now. It's a wonderful book, easy to read, even though it was published in the early 19th century. It will play on your emotions, and it will make you think. Well done, Miss Austen.

photo iammrdarcy_zpsoksw3xt3.jpg

Nice try, sir. But you're no Mr Darcy.

photo ee16c6aa8dc41f6794573aec04f86c3a_zpsljq872cg.jpg

This never happened in the book but I couldn't help myself.

photo eb21d091-c6c7-4e23-8425-04a6eecdcabf-620x372_zpsvkehsvjs.jpg

November 26, 2015 – Started Reading
November 26, 2015 – Shelved
November 28, 2015 –
page 43
15.41% "My dear Lady Caroline... time to consider the reality that maybe he's just not that into you.\n \n  photo gustar_zpsabsgzjuw.gif"
November 28, 2015 –
page 93
33.33% "Collins is convinced that Elizabeth is really attracted to him and wants to get married but that she is only playing hard to get.\n \n  photo 53818442_zpsys2joehj.jpg"
November 29, 2015 –
page 222
79.57% "  photo 13b34b357a2bf552880a2866c5a32e7c_zpsjq1gpobc.jpg"
November 30, 2015 – Shelved as: classics
November 30, 2015 – Shelved as: romance-contemporary-and-ya
November 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Enjoy sweetie xx

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~ Enjoy babe! Have a nice trip :)))

Ana O Mandy wrote: "Enjoy sweetie xx" Thanks dear :)

Ana O Anna ☘ wrote: "Enjoy babe! Have a nice trip :)))" I'm sure I will! :) xx

Ana O Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "*sigh*" I suspect that there will be a lot of swooning on my part ;)

Ana O Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "I love this." I need to find out why women like him so much :)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Ana wrote: "Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "*sigh*" I suspect that there will be a lot of swooning on my part ;)"

Haha, I suspect as much too ;)

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Ana wrote: "Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "I love this." I need to find out why women like him so much :)"

He is no Colonel Brandon, but he'll do:)

Ana O Jess you just earned yourself another star in my book! I love Colonel Brandon :) Well I loved him in the movie, I haven't read the book yet.

Argona Have a nice trip!:)

Ana O Janey wrote: "Enjoy :) Nothing better than a good classic." Thanks Janey :)

Ana O Argona wrote: "Have a nice trip!:)" Thanks dear! xx

Ana O Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Blasphemy!!! (I kid)

I love him too."
Does a modern-day Colonel Brandon exist? And if so, where he at? ;)

Ana O You're nice and all but I ain't sharing him ;)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* I meant in book form.... I'm pretty happy with my own less-than-prince-charming ;)

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Ana wrote: "Jess you just earned yourself another star in my book! I love Colonel Brandon :) Well I loved him in the movie, I haven't read the book yet."

Hes perfection in the book and Alan Rickman does him complete justice!

Ana O Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "I meant in book form.... I'm pretty happy with my own less-than-prince-charming ;)" Nicely said, Karly. Gotta love our imperfect prince charmings ;)

Ana O Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "Ana wrote: "Jess you just earned yourself another star in my book! I love Colonel Brandon :) Well I loved him in the movie, I haven't read the book yet."

Hes perfection in the book and Alan Rickma..."
Hear, hear!

Shobhit Sharad Jane Bennet though. :')

Alba and Her Secrets..♥ Awwwww enjoy this amazing classic, sweetie!! :) xx

Ana O Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "I thank ya :)

I am indeed. CQ's pretty great."
What more could you need! :)

Ana O Shobhit wrote: "Jane Bennet though. :')" She does have many male admirers ;)

Ana O Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "i LOVE this story...enjoy Ana!" Thank you Sharon! xx

Ana O Alba and Her Secrets..♥ wrote: "Awwwww enjoy this amazing classic, sweetie!! :) xx" Thank you darling :)

Heidi Enjoy this wonderful classic,Sweetie!!!! It's an absolute favorite of mine....I adore Mr.Darcy,he was my first BB,so he is very special to me...;)) do have a pleasant evening...Happy reading...Enjoy!!!...xoxox

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Enjoy this one sweet Ana XX

message 33: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Happy reading, Ana! :) xo

Aj the Ravenous Reader Lol! Really cute!^^

Sammy Loves Books I'm re-reading this one as we speak, Lol. I love Mr. Darcy too!!

Hulya Kara Yuksel Oh my. This book never gets old. :) Have fun with Mr.Darcy. ;)

Ana O Heidi wrote: "Enjoy this wonderful classic,Sweetie!!!! It's an absolute favorite of mine....I adore Mr.Darcy,he was my first BB,so he is very special to me...;)) do have a pleasant evening...Happy reading...Enjo..." Thank you Heidi! I am sure I will enjoy it ;) xx

Ana O Karen wrote: "Enjoy this one sweet Ana XX" Thank you dear Karen! xx

Ana O Pearl wrote: "Happy reading, Ana! :) xo" Thanks Pearl! xx

Ana O Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Lol! Really cute!^^" Hehe it is, isn't it ;)

Ana O Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "Oh I LOVED this one so much!
Hope you do too!
xoxoxo"
I'm sure I will! Mr Darcy does look rather dashing ;) xx

Ana O Sammy wrote: "I'm re-reading this one as we speak, Lol. I love Mr. Darcy too!!" Hahah Mr Darcy is irresistible, isn't he! ;)

Ana O Hulya wrote: "Oh my. This book never gets old. :) Have fun with Mr.Darcy. ;)" That's my plan! ;) Thanks darling xx

Sammy Loves Books Ana wrote: "Sammy wrote: "I'm re-reading this one as we speak, Lol. I love Mr. Darcy too!!" Hahah Mr Darcy is irresistible, isn't he! ;)"

Yesss...I especially love him after he eats crow, lol

Ana O I never swoon over guys, but.... SWOON!

Hulya Kara Yuksel hahaha :D

Ana O I do not accept that! Colin Firth is Mr Darcy! ;)

message 49: by Hulya (last edited Nov 27, 2015 01:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hulya Kara Yuksel Ana wrote: "I do not accept that! Colin Firth is Mr Darcy! ;)"

OMG really? I prefer Matthew. :P

But here is your Mr.Darcy. ;)

Nadia Rose Bring tissues