Bill's Reviews > No Great Mischief

No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

This was a Christmas gift from my mom, and it is also one that I would have bought for myself.
It won several international awards, and the back cover and inside pages are lush with glowing reviews from across the literary landscape of esteemed writers and reviewers.
(You can see where I'm going with this, can't you?)

It's a story that roots itself, for the most part, in my birthplace, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia And, it's a novelization about the MacDonald clan! This novel had so much going for it for me before I even cracked the cover open that it pains me now to write a disappointed review.
Not that it was that bad, but because it wasn't that great. There were some nice observances and some good imagery, but I don't know, the novel as a whole just had a certain blandness to it and didn't really do a whole lot for me.
It was short, so not a lot of time to devote to it so sure, give it a shot if you want. Who knows, you just may respond like the Globe and Mail reviewer who called this the book of the decade. Funny, I seem to find all "great writers (Ondaatje, etc.)" terribly bland and uninteresting. Maybe ahm jus' stoopid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Great Mischief.

Started Reading
January 2, 2002 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2008 – Shelved
February 4, 2008 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Not trying to change your mind, and your no stoopid:) I'm a Canadian but born in Scotland, spend alot of time in the maritimes (New Brunswick). I picked this book up knowing nothing about it, shame about all the hype, often the kiss of death. Thought it brilliant. Like your review:)

Bill Thanks Florence, I'm glad you liked this book!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Your welcome! PS: I'm actually a Campbell (MacIntosh my maiden name) MacDonalds & Campbell's are historically never supposed to agree on anything, fun to stay in character:)

Bill Ha! A friend of mine is a Campbell, and he never let me forget about the feud!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Bill wrote: "Ha! A friend of mine is a Campbell, and he never let me forget about the feud!"

Well you can definitely take the position of righteously wronged with your buddy. I've only got the vague details but it was the Campbell's that were really nasty. Part of the Campbell clan were in cahoots with the british, we invited a bunch of MacDonald's to dinner, set them up, the british arrived and slaughtered them all. Horrible eh? Kinda like the Hatfield / McCoy fued but worse. Glad it's all just history now. But that's the standing joke about never accepting a dinner invitation from a Campbell. Actually when you think about it, we've had some pretty bad experiences with Campbell's as political leaders as well...I'll stop now! Cheers.

Bill I never looked into the details, so thanks for that :)

I had dinner at his place, once, and had some pickerel we had caught that day. It went well, but mind you I did leave rather early. ;)