Cheri's Reviews > The Matchmaker of Kenmare

The Matchmaker of Kenmare by Frank Delaney

Feb 01, 2011

bookshelves: ireland-historical-fiction, read-in-2011

My thanks to Leah at Meier for the ARC copy which she sent me.

I have read "Ireland" by Frank Delaney and more recently, Delaney's "Tipperary." "Ireland" remains one of my favorite books, and Delaney is a master story teller. "The Matchmaker of Kenmare" is another wonderfully told tale where Delaney manages to weave the years preceding World War II, Ireland's neutrality during the war, romance, dangerous missions into war-torn Europe, and a giraffe in the center of the US. Delaney's narrator is Ben MacCarthy, whose work with the Irish Folklore Commission has him traveling throughout Ireland gathering stories, which is how he meets The Matchmaker of Kenmare, Kate Begley. Not having read "Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show" I was at a slight disadvantage momentarily, but I don't think it was a major disadvantage.
While the overall storyline wasn't as charming or appealing as "Ireland" was, the character of Kate Begley, and the curious friendship that develops between Kate and Ben carries the story with its own charm. Delaney manages to make even the retelling of World War I a charming bedtime story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Matchmaker of Kenmare.

Quotes Cheri Liked

Frank Delaney
“Stick a lighted candle up your backside to give yourself that inner glow.”
Frank Delaney, The Matchmaker of Kenmare