Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > Conquest

Conquest by S.J. Frost

Feb 01, 2011

bookshelves: rockstars, rainbow-gay, glbt, romance, contemporary
Read on February 05, 2011

Although I never stopped enjoying the story, I liked the last half of the book a lot more than the first half. At the beginning a lot of things seemed a bit too much, like Jesse's self-awareness and the way Jesse and Evan fell in love. When the story showed a conflict and when Jesse and Evan separated, the story became much more compelling.

As I said before, Jesse is very self-confident, almost arrogant and probably with good reason, since he's incredibly sexy, gifted and handsome. I wasn't able to really like him until he showed his weakness when he was falling apart after Evan sent him away and when he took care of Evan with generous care. (view spoiler)

I felt much closer to Evan, even if I wanted to slap him when he said to Jesse it was over. While I must confess that I didn't trust Jesse in their relationship, because of his arrogance, I thought it was plausible for Evan to fall in love so quickly with someone as attractive and passionate as Jesse, because I think the author was able to convey the emptiness of the world in which Evan lived. I think the beautiful things he bought, the mega-mansion where he lived, all of these were ways to express his need of having his life filled with something and when Jesse came along with his music and enthusiasm, it was inevitable that Evan welcomed him so completely.

Brandon, Jesse's brother, was a very interesting character and I'd like to read a whole book about him. The women in the book are not positive characters, I resented it a little bit, some of Jesse's comments about Trish would have irked me too (even if Trish is a bit sleazy).

There are a couple of reasons why I'm not giving a full rating: the POV switching was dealt very well at the beginning, but then it was more random, I prefer when the transitions between one character to another are smoother and have a regular pattern. Sometimes the descriptions of places and clothes seemed taken out of a magazine, but this is really a personal preference because I prefer when the author focuses on a couple of important items of clothing, for example, and lets me imagine the rest.

The story is very compelling and exciting and the setting is out of a dream, who doesn't like rockstars? I'm glad there are more books of this series, I'm looking forward to reading the way Evan and Jesse's relationship develops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conquest.

02/05/2011
20.0% "Evan knows his cars"