Melanie's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

2.) The Wise Man's Fear ★★★★★
2.4) The Lightning Tree ★★★★★
2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things ★★★★★
3.) Doors of Stone n/a

This review is going to contain mild spoilers and theory crafting, so I have to caution you while reading this if you are not familiar with this amazing world.

“I do this so you cannot help but hear. A wise man views a moonless night with fear.”

Obviously I'm being a little bit presumptuous, but I believe The Kingkiller Chronicles will be the best trilogy I've ever read. And I've read a lot of trilogies, and none of them can hold a candle to this masterpiece.

“No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet.”

Most the time I think the second installment of trilogies feel like complete filler books. Unnecessary information gets thrown at you left and right, while completely wasting your time and giving you a cliff hanger from hell. Everything in this book feels well thought-out and meaningful. I knew every piece of information was part of a larger puzzle, and I just tried to grasp every piece I could because I knew it was purposeful. The story telling in this book is seriously unmatchable.

This book picks right back up where The Name of the Wind left off. It is day two for Kvothe, so he's in The Waystone Inn telling his story to the Chronicler while Bast listens along. This book's stories take him all over Tenerant on quite a few adventures that are all an absolute joy to read. This book definitely dabbles in a few darker situations that Kvothe ends up in, but he handles them all beautifully, even though he tricks you into thinking he isn't. We also meet lots of new and very interesting characters that help make the story even more perfect.

I have to touch on how hard I'm fan-girling over Felurian. I don't care if she ends up good or bad, I completely loved her. She is literally a Fae siren, which if any of you know my in real life you'd know the stars aligned for me when this character was written. Kvothe traveling through the Eld Forest , and then entering into The Fae was my favorite moments of this whole series. I am dying to understand how The Cthaeh. works and what will come from the cryptic messages it told Kvothe. I don't know as much of The Cthaeh, Felurian, or The Faen realm as I'd like, but I just had to gush about how much I loved it all (especially Felurian though, I am seriously crushin'). It's also good to note that Felurian and Bast have similar titles; Felurian is the Lady of the Twilight and Bast is Prince of the Twilight and the Telwyth Mael.

My friend brought it to my attention that they think Kvothe's mother and Lady Lackless are sisters, because of what Lady Lackless says to Kvothe when he is courting her for Maer Alveron. Then there is a song that Kvothe sings in the The Name of the Wind when he is still with his troupe, then his mother scolds him for singing it and it is about Lady Lackless. I love this theory and think it's pretty sound.

Oh, and the final book's title name is Doors of Stone, and I can think of three doors; the one in the archives, the one in the Underthing where Auri lives, and a third that is mentioned in the song about Lady Lackless.*excitement intensifies*

As soon as I finished this book I immediately had to look up other's fan theories on who Master Ash really is. I completely fell in love with the theory that he is Cinder. Like, how freakin' amazing would that be? I'm 100% going to obsess over this while waiting for Doors of Stone. I also listened to a podcast and at the end (about the 1:40:00 mark) one of the guys makes a beautiful revelation about how Cinder being Denna's patron could be because she has powers that will make people believe her, and with the song he's having her write, they could rewrite the history and make the world believe a completely different set of events. Ahhhh, it gives me goose bumps it's so perfect!

Again, I fell in love with Pat by watching his stream of Fallout 4 for a charity he runs, Worldbuilders. I cannot stress enough how wonderful this cause is and how you should check it out. Mr. Rothfuss being a good human is just an added bonus to him writing the best fantasy books I've ever read.

“It had flaws, but what does that matter when it comes to matters of the heart? We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Steam | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

Quotes Melanie Liked

November 26, 2015 – Started Reading
November 26, 2015 –
13.0% ""
November 28, 2015 –
52.0% "Hey Denna,\n [image error]"
November 28, 2015 –
52.0% "Hey Denna,\n [image error]"
November 30, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
November 30, 2015 –
70.0% "Felurian...\n "
December 2, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2015 – Shelved as: signed
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 22, 2017 – Shelved as: audible

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! Awesome review doll :)

Melanie Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! wrote: "Awesome review doll :)"

Thank you, Sasha! xx

message 3: by Andrew (last edited Nov 20, 2016 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrew Great review, Melanie! I'm reading this book just in these days and I loved it! The life of Kvothe is so intense That I wonder how many books needs Rothfuss to tell all his story. :)
And the Cthaeh is so creepy! I'm curious to know the consequences of this meeting.

Melanie Andrew wrote: "Great review, Melanie! I'm reading this book just in these days and I loved it! The life of Kvothe is so intense That I wonder how many books needs Rothfuss to tell all his story. :)
And the Cthaeh..."

Thank you so very much, Andrew! God, I love this series SO much, and I don't think I'll anticipate another book in my entire life the way I do this third and final book! Ahhhhh! <3 xx

Knight  Sher Oh, man I do hope there are more than 3 books, I really want him to write a spin-off with Taborlin the Great as the main character :D

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace Fantastic review, Melanie! :)

Melanie Knight wrote: "Oh, man I do hope there are more than 3 books, I really want him to write a spin-off with Taborlin the Great as the main character :D"

Sammmmmmme! Oh, I pray! <3 xx

Melanie Candace wrote: "Fantastic review, Melanie! :)"

Thank you so much, love! You are too kind to me! <3 xo

message 9: by Knight (last edited Nov 21, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Knight  Sher Melanie wrote: "Knight wrote: "Oh, man I do hope there are more than 3 books, I really want him to write a spin-off with Taborlin the Great as the main character :D"

Sammmmmmme! Oh, I pray! <3 xx"

Lol I've an idea! we all the fans of this series should start bugging Patrick Rothfuss on twitter & keep on asking him to write the spin off with #GiveTaborlinTheGreatHisOwnSeries until he gives into our much justified demands! So should we do it? haha :D

Garden of Eden I have the second book. I didn't get my myself starting this series because I don't have the first book. Lol. Great review anyway! I would love to start the series sooner.

Melanie Vie loves books wrote: "I have the second book. I didn't get my myself starting this series because I don't have the first book. Lol. Great review anyway! I would love to start the series sooner."

Thank you, Vie! I hope, when you do start it, that you love it! <3

message 12: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind and I have about 100 pages left. I like it a lot and looking forward to Wise Man's Fear. Kvothe is quite a character.

message 13: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Urquhart As someone who is obviously a big fan of Pat, you may already have heard, but the Kvothe trilogy is meant to serve as a prequel for further novels set in this world and setting. While Kvothe doesn't sound like he will be the main character of those, I was still happy to find out that Pat is going to continue on in the same beautiful rich world he created :)