Aronya's Reviews > Between the World and Me

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Nov 24, 2015

Instant Classic

A great social commentary about not only surviving but thriving while black. I could imagine Coates sitting there speaking there to his son, and it pains me that I may have to have a similar conversation one day. I may not have always agreed with Coates, but I could still understand. I think this will be a must-read for decades, and it will be considered a classic at "The Mecca" and beyond.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the World and Me.

Quotes Aronya Liked

Ta-Nehisi Coates
“But race is the child of racism, not the father. And the process of naming “the people” has never been a matter of genealogy and physiognomy so much as one of hierarchy. Difference in hue and hair is old. But the belief in the preeminence of hue and hair, the notion that these factors can correctly organize a society and that they signify deeper attributes, which are indelible—this is the new idea at the heart of these new people who have been brought up hopelessly, tragically, deceitfully, to believe that they are white.”
Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me

November 24, 2015 – Shelved
November 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 30, 2016 – Started Reading
March 31, 2016 –
April 5, 2016 –
0.0% "I just finished Between the World and Me and gave it 5 stars."
April 5, 2016 – Finished Reading