Natasha Larry's Reviews > Gods of the Machines

Gods of the Machines by Gary Starta

Feb 01, 2011

Gods of the Machines by Gary Starta is a science fiction thrill ride with just enough murder, suspense and steamy love action to satisfy any reader of romance or science fiction.

I’ll be honest, when I first started, it could have gone either way. In the beginning I was reading about people studying plants, and then….the author hit me with a scandalous sex scene-that quite frankly-I was surprised came from a male author. No offense to my male writing pals. Then the writer gives you a little murder to follow up that sex with, and for me, that's a winning combination. What impressed me most about this is that he managed to pull all of this off while remaining elegant and using vivid imagery.

The novel is about Earth’s first colonization effort in the Andromeda Galaxy. Why is this colonization happening you ask? Why, to create a Paradise, of course. But, everyone knows that Paradise is boring and eventually the serpent will turn up with an apple and all hell will break loose…

Or, in this case, a psychopathic android shows up and starts killing people, which is where Sam Benson, a ruthless detective who threatens to replace this experiment in utopia and replace it with a justice system more Earth like by racial profiling-I’m sorry…I mean android profiling. We all know what happens with you invade another world and refuse to leave ideals from your old world behind.

The Natives get restless and show you that there is a lot to be learned.

Starta’s writing style is fluid and precise. He very effectively creates another world for the reader to climb into, and paints emotional scenes that are hard to let go off. After the first few pages, the pacing is perfect, the characters are compelling and the author steps out of the sometimes stiff genre of science fiction, and gives readers a heart pounding romance with a sense of “what the hell is going to happen next?”

I look forward to reading many more works by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods of the Machines.