David Edmonds's Reviews > Witches of Lychford

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

1993503

bookshelves: fantasy, tor-com-publishing, read-2016, own

Paul Cornell's Witches of Lychford is the third of Tor.com's new line of novellas, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed the other two (Domnal and the Borrowed Child by Sylvia Spruck Wrigley and Binti by Nnedi Okorafor), so far this has been the best of the lot. Taking place in the English village of Lychford, we're introduced to Judith, the local crazy lady (and possible witch); Lizzie, who has moved back to Lychford to take over as Reverend of the local church and escape her tragic past; and finally, Autumn, Lizzie's former best friend, who has opened a magic shop in hopes of discovering ways to deal with her supposed mental illness. These three unlikely friends are drawn together to do battle with a dark force that is trying to stake its claim in Lychford, which finds itself at the unlikely junction of several magical realms.

While infusing just a touch of social commentary on the evil's of mega-corporations, Witches of Lychford is lodged strongly in the world of faerie, and I would love to see more of the town and its lively inhabitants. This is my first time reading anything by Paul Cornell and I thoroughly enjoyed his style; I'll definitely be reading more from him in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches of Lychford.

November 24, 2015 – Shelved