Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)'s Reviews > Truth or Beard

Truth or Beard by Penny Reid

Penny Reid A woman after my own heart. Do you want to know what I love about this author? She gets me. There is no skirting around the truth, no cat and mouse game, NO monkey business. Her female characters are brilliant, bad-ass, hilarious, know what they want so they reach out and take it.

This story - Was effing awesome-sauce. (Penny if you are reading this I love you) we are meant to be friend (not in a weird lesbian-stalker-way) but in a I-would-give-you-my-second-born child sort of way. (I say second because my first born is 8 and she comes with attitude baggage that may not be very enticing). I cannot even count how many times I LOL-ed during reading this book. My smile was constant, Jess was so funny her internal dialogue was awe-inspiring.

laughing photo: giggle1_zps1784140f.gif

Now for the meat and potatoes

" A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes" - Mark Twain

Jess and Duane were perfect. Jessica. When I grow up I want to be Jess (with Clair in close second - fingers crossed on a story about her). "I was staring at the region of his pelvic area before he spoke, hoping against hope that my untapped superpower of night vision would suddenly reveal itself"... What?? Yes, that is exactly what we all would have done in that situation but Penny/Jess has the balls to put it in writing.

Duane I love him! I love that he comes from a huge family, I love that we was a hard worker, and I love that he loved Jess. Humbled. Humbled is the word I would use to describe this book. I felt like I wanted to be a better person reading it. I wanted to be smarter and funnier, and I want 6 brothers. Realistically that will never happen but hey that is what I want.

"Men read maps better than women because only men can understand the concept of an inch equaling a hundred miles" - Roseanne Barr

Um the quotes starting every chapter? Yes please, they will be making an appearance in the near future on my social media pages, Thanksgiving Dinner, to my husband, coworkers and best friends. See I am smarter already :-D

Penny has this way about writing that doesn't make you feel like you are reading a cheese-fest. She doesn't write I-will-tell-you-what-you-should-say-in-this-situation, but in a raw, honest shit-happens way. I have decided she is my all time favorite author, and I have already sent links out to all my besties demanding they read her books. Claiming "they will make you become a reader" . The End.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth or Beard.

November 23, 2015 – Shelved
November 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 10, 2016 – Started Reading
September 11, 2016 –
48.0% "I'm so giddy right now! I love you Penny Reid!"
September 13, 2016 – Shelved as: book-boyfriend
March 21, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-author
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: 2016-favorites
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: top-20
January 23, 2018 – Shelved as: romcoms

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Naye (new) - added it

Naye Green Love your reviews Megalicious!

Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog) Why did I just barley see this now??? Thanks Naye :-D