Jesse Booth's Reviews > The Tolkien Reader

The Tolkien Reader by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: 2015

I was pleasantly surprised by this collection of some of Tolkien's short works. Having been a Tolkien fan for many many years, I finally got around to reading this book at the recommendation of a friend and fellow writer.

My favorites out of the collection are On Fairy-Stories, Leaf by Niggle, and Sir Giles of Ham.

On Fairy-Stories is a priceless essay. As an author, I was blown away with the concept of all of the ideas being a big cauldron of soup, with new ideas being added, as well as older ideas being shared. This is precisely how inspiration works, and how influence presents itself in writing. I also loved the concept of sub-creators, and that authors get to play a divine role as they write within their own worlds. So cool. There was so much to be learned from this piece that I fully intend on reading it regularly.

Leaf by Niggle is a fascinating look at (although Tolkien claims to have hated allegory) an allegory of life, purgatory, and paradise. It is so beautifully written. We all will likely have paintings we will never get to work on in this life, and the idea that our paradise might just end up being those unpainted masterpieces is just so beautiful.

Sir Giles of Ham was a fun, classic read. It reminded me very much of The Hobbit in style and character. It is well worth the quick read!

I have yet to be disappointed by any of Tolkien's writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tolkien Reader.

January 31, 2011 – Shelved