Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ 's Reviews > Firsts

Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
8422853

**ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**


I switch out my lamp and stare at the ceiling in the dark, taking a series of shaky breaths. I know that it’s better this way, being the one in control. The one in control calls the shots, and the one in control sets the pace.
Most important of all, the one in control doesn’t get hurt.



I’d be lying if I said this is something that I would have read had I found it on my own…but seeing the type of things being said about it paired with the edgy blurb, this sounded like just what I needed-In a very odd, very different way. This book-this wonderful, magnificent, outside of the box book-shocked me to the core. No, the content is not necessarily new, nor is it something that I think everyone will love. However, I must say, this book took something that is deemed dirty, wrong, depraved , and made it…..okay.


 photo 836886_zps6fnho7tt.gif

Right, okay, I knew you’d think that. How can a book about a girl propositioning guys in committed relationships to show them the ropes of how he should treat a girl for her ‘first time’ (ie, all the boys are virgins, as are the girls) ever, in any universe, be okay??? Well, I’ll admit it. It made me sick-truly. The thought of this happening to me in high school (it totally could have…you fill in the blanks) makes my stomach drop, my insides curl, makes me see red. But, let’s get real-it didn’t happen. I don’t imagine it happens in real life (does it?? Because if it does…*shudders*). And I don’t think this book was following a trend. So, as with most of the books I read, I flipped my hair over my shoulder, I took a deep breath, and chanted to myself that this is just a work of fiction, to just enjoy it. Yeah, well, I did.


His secret, like those of nine of his fellow seniors, is safe with me. At Milton High, I’m my own statistic. People fail to see the great equalizer, the one thing the band geeks, the drama nerds, the jocks, and the preppies all have in common.
Me-Mercedes Ayres.
The girl who took their virginity.



In fact…I enjoyed this a little too much. From the moment I picked this up, I was immediately hooked. The writing, the characters, the scenarios-in spite of them being so bizarre-were just, I don’t know, epic. Yeah, yeah, I know, it was a typical high school with typical students and an indisputably flawed narrator. We’ve seen it before, yes? Well…not like this. At least, I don’t think so. She was absolutely deplorable, if you look at the cold hard facts:

-She sleeps with virgin boyfriends
-She takes away that wonderful first time that a guy should experience only with his girl
-She writes in a journal about it (Sigh….come on, girly. You know better)
-She lies to her best friend
-She lies to my beautiful, beautiful man (more on my man later. YES I have yet another man-HUSH)
-She ignores allllll the signs. Alllll of them
-She finally deludes herself by the middle of the book
-She-


Do I really need more?


 photo tumblr_inline_mmysafQNzI1qz4rgp_zpsfcph9riw.gif



For real. I know this. I know she was totally in the wrong. Deep in my heart, I know it. And yet...I loved her. Yikes, okay, let me back track. I ADORED her. Ahhhh there, that feels better. But here is the crazy thing-I also hated her. I hated how she hurt those girls forever, without them even knowing about it. I hated how blind she was. I hated how she lost herself when she had always wanted it to be a noble cause. I hated how she lied to-shh, leave me alone-Zach, and I hated how she treated Zach. Hell, okay, let’s just talk about the elephant in the room, that way I can focus on more solid facts for the rest of the review. Cool? Might as well, or I’m going to start becoming annoying (START?? I’m well past that).


Zach wanting to see me next Wednesday is almost like Zach asking me on a date, if I were a regular girl wanting a regular relationship.
But I’m not a regular girl. I don’t want to hold hands in the hall at school and slow dance at prom and see a movie with Zach. I don’t want to be the girl he dates senior year and loses interest in when he goes off to college. I want to be just fast enough for Zach to have to run to catch up, because if I stay ahead, I won’t ever have to see his retreating back.



 photo tumblr_mlu9f4Potk1sn4dk9o1_500_zps0rp1j7ij.jpg


ZACH. Zach. Z-A-C-H. Zacharyyyyy. Now, I know what you’re thinking, for real!! How can a girl who sleeps with a ton of dudes-Taken dudes, might I add-have one set boy she is actually truly into? And I’ll answer, thusly: If you did something that you weren’t proud of, something that used to feel like the right thing but now felt like a dirty, suffocating secret, wouldn’t you feel…lonely? And, more than that, wouldn’t you want to be wanted by someone who (ahem) loves you, who adores you, who, despite your bitchy flaws and dismissive attitude, still wants to spend time with you and wants to treat you right? Well, I imagine that’s how I’d feel. And Zach, while only her ‘Wednesday friend’, is that guy. That guy who, even though he is treated like shit and only kept at an arm’s length, is utterly loyal to you.


"I think I'm in love with you."
...
"That's your orgasm talking," I say. "You're not really in love with me."
"You can't tell me how I feel," he says. His voice gets quiet, trails off at the end. "I could be your boyfriend."



 photo 3090b8635631473161309971021a8e41_zpsssy6olby.gif


And here is where my real feels (lies, lies, lies, feels were abundant from chapter one) came into play. I’ve met some loyal friends and guys in a lot of books, but I think these friends, this guy, blew the loyalty of other said characters out of the water. I will say this once and only once: Faye and Zach were two of the most loyal literary characters I’ve ever come across-And I don’t take that shit lightly, I assure you.


The loyalty that came into play…it was unreal. It was so out of this world unreal that I started crying (a dainty crier I am not) out of nowhere. To be put in the position they were and to just…ugh. Unconditional love is hard to come by. Standing by your friend, no matter what, is rare-Virtually unheard of. Loyalty can’t be bought, it can only be given freely, and even though I’m doing a horrible job of explaining it, I need to get out what I can. This aspect, if nothing else, made me an unflinching and loyal fan of this book, and I truly think this is a story I will revisit time and time again-even though the angst threatened to swallow me whole.


I’m so used to planning for guys, dressing and undressing for them and trying to morph myself into their dream girl. I’m so used to it that I don’t really know where that girl ends and the real me begins. I suppose what it comes down to is confidence. I’m confident in that girl, the one who emerges from my walk-in wearing lingerie when I’m done getting ready. But at Faye’s house, I’m not going to be that girl. I’m going to be me.
Whoever that is anymore.


 photo giphy 50_zpskjt1ntqj.gif


I’m doing a horrible job with this review, aren’t I? My thoughts, though…Guys, I have SO much to say that my head is spinning and I’ll try to start a point in a paragraph and all of a sudden I’m cracking out and interrupting what I was explaining and it just becomes a weird, fangirly mess, and isn’t that the best, though?? Knowing you loved something so much that you can’t possibly get every thought on the page? Well, this is me saying that I’m trying to make this as fluent and coherent as possible, but I’m failing miserably, because I have so much to say and so little capacity to make it right.

The doorbell rings and I sink into a heap on the carpet. With any luck, whoever is down there will just go away.
But I’m just starting to think nothing goes away, no matter how deep you try to bury it.


Let me finish it all with my point, what I’ve been trying to say from the beginning: Mercy is far from what we would call an upstanding citizen…but her heart is in the right place. She wants girls to get the most amazing experience possible, something she never got and something that made her that closed off girl she is today. She really and truly wants to help, to be someone who betters another life behind the scenes. But alas, her methods are wrong and they can only hurt in the long run, so no matter what her ‘rules’ are, someone is eventually going to find out. And it doesn’t matter what you say or even how you say it, you can’t polish a turd:

Hi, I know you don’t know me, but I had sex with your boyfriend and tutored him on how to treat you and how to speak to you in a respectful, kind way, so as to not ruin your romantic night because you’re both so nervous…I hope you don’t mind? I had the best intentions!

Boundaries will be pushed, you will feel utterly uncomfortable, and you likely will be on the edge of your seat for most of the novel, but it was the best feeling. I really hope people will open their mind and read about this wonderful set of flawed characters. My heart was in my throat, my stomach in knots, my hands over my mouth and eyes after 30% on, but not once did I dislike the feeling. To evoke such strong emotion from me is noteworthy, because it doesn’t happen often. In fact, I often avoid books like this because I just want to be happy-but this, this made me happy even with all the turmoil. My heart was crushed even as it was slowly being stitched up from the previous fracture, causing an endless loop of soul-crushing, mind-blowing, and heart-wrenching moments all swirling around in a tornado of feels, making my head spin and my body rebel any chance of sleep. But any author that can make me compare them to my beloved Courtney Summers is okay in my book, and I only hope her next novel is just as compelling-I know I will undoubtedly be watching and waiting for it.


For more of my reviews, please visit:
descriptive text here





*************************

I loved this book with all my heart-even as every increasing page ripped my heart to shreds a little more. And here's the thing-I felt like I was reading a Courtney Summers novel...and that is the most surprising, most wonderful thing about this book-BESIDES ZACH, OF COURSE.


 photo dianna-agron-happy_zpslg9anerd.gif


And LOYALTY. Mother fucking loyalty. My heart. Oh Gahd, it hurts.


 photo tumblr_m3v5wtDZj71r7ifqv_zpskqnag7jj.gif

SUCH a win.


Full review to come-I can't WAIT to write this one tonight!!!! Eeps.
53 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firsts.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

November 23, 2015 – Shelved
December 7, 2015 – Started Reading
December 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I can't wait for your full review on this!!! So happy it was a win :D Love!


Jenniferღ Can't wait!


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "I can't wait for your full review on this!!! So happy it was a win :D Love!"

AGH! And I cannot WAIT to write it!!!!! XD I hope it lives up to what I want to say :P


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Jenniferღ wrote: "Can't wait!"

EEPS. Gotta impress my Barrons :P


Christy Yay!!! I got this one from NG! I'm excited to read it xoxo


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Harriet wrote: "Eeeek I'm excited I know it will be gushtastic❤️"

Definitely not what I wanted it to be BUT...I had so much to say! :/ It didn't work out lol


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Christy wrote: "Yay!!! I got this one from NG! I'm excited to read it xoxo"

AGH CHRISTY! I HOPE YOU ADORE IT!!! I did! Eeps :P


message 8: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Great review! This one is coming up soon for me!!! So glad you enjoyed it!!! :D


SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Wonderful review Chelsea! = ))


Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Such a wonderful review, Chelsea. See, I don't really understand why people are so mad... I mean, I DO understand, because like you I obviously wouldn't condone her actions, but... it was in the blurb, wasn't it? We know going into this that no matter what happens, we won't like the path the MC is taking. I'll read it when I think that I'm in the suited mood, if such mood exists. But bravo for explaining your feelings so well ♥♥


Kelly (and the Book Boar) This is a great review . . . even though you make me feel like I'm 1,000 and severely suffered a "generation gap" when it came to my enjoyment of this story LOL ; )

I LOVED the idea behind the "devirginizing" boys (but I do wish they would have been single). It was all the OTHER stuff thrown in to the pot that made it such a not-so-yummy tasting stew for me.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome review hun, Zach was the best honestly. LOOVED HIM, and despite the flawed MC, I also thought this was a good one.


message 13: by Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (last edited Dec 11, 2015 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Elizabeth wrote: "Great review! This one is coming up soon for me!!! So glad you enjoyed it!!! :D"

Thanks so much, Elizabeth! Yeah, this one was super good-it's getting mixed reviews, but I believe it's all about your mindset going in :)

Hope you enjoy! ♥


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Wonderful review Chelsea! = ))"

Thanks a ton, SueBee! ♥


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Such a wonderful review, Chelsea. See, I don't really understand why people are so mad... I mean, I DO understand, because like you I obviously wouldn't condone her actions, but... it was in the bl..."

Ahhhh Dark Pup...This one was hard to explain....but I had fun trying :P

And no, of course I don't like what she does, but I just couldn't help but to adore her, in a weird way.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want you to read iiiiiiiit!!! Sigh.

I need your wise French thoughts lmao

Love you! Thanks for your everlasting support ♥


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "This is a great review . . . even though you make me feel like I'm 1,000 and severely suffered a "generation gap" when it came to my enjoyment of this story LOL ; )

I LOVED the idea behind the "de..."


Thank you, Kelly! I really appreciate it!!! I don't know, I just adored it from beginning to end. I must say, that scene near the end in the auditorium nearly made me throw up..for real. I don't think I would have been able to handle that. I'm being totally up front-normally those things don't change my rating, but I'd have been too devastated..

ANYWAY! I think I might have always loved this, even years from now, but who knows?? *shrugs*


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Kat Stark wrote: "Awesome review hun, Zach was the best honestly. LOOVED HIM, and despite the flawed MC, I also thought this was a good one."

Ahhh I couldn't help but to love her...I know I'm in the minority but, oh well. I just liked her a lot.

AND ZACH! Of course I thought he was perfection ;)


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

She's different and original :) it's okay to love her.


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ That scene in the auditorium...I wanted to die. UGH!


Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Oh wow, I'm so happy you fell so hard for this story! That it made you feel so strongly. And I loved, loved, loved your emotional texts! Beautiful, amazing review, Chels! ♥


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Jen wrote: "Oh wow, I'm so happy you fell so hard for this story! That it made you feel so strongly. And I loved, loved, loved your emotional texts! Beautiful, amazing review, Chels! ♥"

Bahahah you mean my crazy, psycho texts??? All in a day's reading lmao

Anyway! I ADORED this....and it was so nice to feel that deeply, it's been a while! There's obsessing and fangirling, and then there's a deep rooted emotional connection that evokes both good and bad emotions...that's rare.

Thanks, Jen! ♥


message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Amazing review, Chelsea! I was on the fence about this because the plot sounded so controversial, but I do really like flawed narrators. c:


message 23: by Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (last edited Dec 11, 2015 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Sarah wrote: "Amazing review, Chelsea! I was on the fence about this because the plot sounded so controversial, but I do really like flawed narrators. c:"

Thank you!

It was VERY controversial...however, I adored every (well, almost every) minute of it.

I hope if you do give it a chance that you find something to love about it :)


Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh wow, I'm so happy you fell so hard for this story! That it made you feel so strongly. And I loved, loved, loved your emotional texts! Beautiful, amazing review, Chels! ♥"

Bahahah yo..."


Who am I to put a label on your emotions...especially when it is the good and the bad all tangled together. ;) Loved it! ♥


Melissa (Ever So Mela) Missed your reading your reviews Chester <3


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Jen wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh wow, I'm so happy you fell so hard for this story! That it made you feel so strongly. And I loved, loved, loved your emotional texts! Beautiful, amazin..."

Muahaha-the best kind of tangle! ♥


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Melissa (Ever So Mela) wrote: "Missed your reading your reviews Chester <3"

Lol, and I've missed your comments :P It's been a while!


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Your review is making me so excited for this book! I can't wait to pick this one up as soon as it's out. Great review!


Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Christine wrote: "Your review is making me so excited for this book! I can't wait to pick this one up as soon as it's out. Great review!"

Ahhh thank you!!! I'm actually quite obsessed with it!!! I want to re-read it sometime soon...all the best-and worst-feels.

Thanks so much! ♥


back to top