Mickey Reed's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

bookshelves: 2011, audio, book-to-movie, favorites
Recommended for: Inspirational story fans, Southern novel fans, historical novel fans

See the full review here on the blog!

Finally! My second 5-star book for this year. Man, I really enjoyed this novel!! It's complex, deep, entertaining, funny, depressing, and inspirational. All the characters work together to make this supremely unique and fantastic novel. Three women narrate this book seamlessly. And as an audio book, I greatly enjoyed the different voices, accents, and performances in general.

Miss Skeeter just graduated from college and wishes to write. She wants to create a novel based on interviews with the black maids of the town she lives in. No one wants to cooperate because it's an extremely dangerous task. Soon, Aibileen and Minny, completely opposite maids of Jackson, come together to help Skeeter with her project. It turns into something so much bigger than any of them expected.

This novel also takes us through these extraordinary women's personal lives. Each of them has a story of their own to share while making this book come to life. They are amazing, strong women. They have such admirable skills and traits. Definitely a must read!

I just can't get over how much I loved this story!! :o)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

January 31, 2011 – Shelved
June 21, 2011 – Started Reading
June 21, 2011 –
15.0% "Heard the audio is excellent, and it really is so far."
June 21, 2011 –
June 26, 2011 –
June 28, 2011 –
June 30, 2011 –
July 16, 2011 –
July 16, 2011 –
July 20, 2011 –
85.0% "I love this so much!"
July 20, 2011 –
93.0% "Last disc!!"
July 20, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
July 20, 2011 – Shelved as: audio
July 20, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2011 – Shelved as: book-to-movie
April 8, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Stefanie I saw this one at the book store but didn't really look at it... is it any good so far?

Mickey Reed It's good so far! I'm listening to it, and it's fun.

Keysha Jones Oh my goodness! When I tell you that I loved it and would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a great read, I truly mean it.

Mickey Reed I agree!! Fantastic book!