Elisabet Nielsen's Reviews > Unforgiven

Unforgiven by Mary Balogh

bookshelves: historical-romance, romance

7 hearts of 10 on Romanceportalen

Overall, I enjoyed and appreciated virtually all historical romance by Mary Balogh. But I have to admit that I have had a lot of problems with this book. It's not that it's badly written, a Mary Balogh romance is never badly written.

But I have problems with the plot of this book. It feels like the author tried to put in too many different tracks into the intrigue, until the book feels a bit like a suitcase when you return from your vacation. Which contains too much, much more than when you travel, and with a lid struggling to not springs open.

I also have problems with Kenneth and Moira as main characters, which surprised me. I liked them as a couple in, Irresisteble, the last book in in the The Horsemen Trilogy (and the first book in this series that I read). And I also liked Kenneth in the first book in the series, Indiscreet, when I read it.

But when I came to this book, Kenneth and Moira's own story, they just did not work really well for me. It was almost all the time something that chafed. As resisted and refused to fall into place. It made them difficult to grasp and understand, especially as a couple.

And I can not quite put my finger on what it is that not working. Perhaps I had wish that Mary had not mixed up the pompous Sir Edwin Baillie, which unfortunately most feels like an unnecessary complication. And possibly as a comic feature.

The complications in the plot were fully sufficient without him. And I could easily have lived without the comedy.

But everything is not negative. A Mary Balogh romance is always well written. And where both intrigue and the characters works for me, this is often moving and sometimes heartbreaking reading.

I am, I have to admit, split. Even though I had looked forward to reading this book, and although it was romantic and moving, it felt a bit problematic to me. And, to be a Mary Balogh romance, also as something of a disappointment. I actually expected more. Better. And that may be apparent from the grade.

But in fairness, it must be said that it may in part depend on the order in which I read the books in this series. I may have been the reader who knew too much, and thereby had too high expectations.

I hope this book will work better for you, than it did for me.

There is a full length review of this book on Romanceportalen

Sorry, only in Swedish!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unforgiven.

November 22, 2015 – Shelved