Maria_Love_For_Books's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: fae
Read from October 15 to 17, 2012

This is the third time that I read this book and I have to say this: AMAZING! “Darkfever” by Karen Marie Moning is the first book in Fever series and introduce us in a very unique word-building. I couldn’t believe that it would be possible to fall in love with a book, but here I am: after the third time of reading it, I want more of it!

This is the kind of book that changes your life. I’m not joking at all! It teaches you that in the world isn’t everything black or white, but a shade of grey. This is the kind of book that you feel the need to be a part of the story. This is the kind of book that will make you walk carefully on the road and away from the shadows!

The story goes like that: a young woman was murdered in Ireland and her younger sister is travelling there to get some answers and to find her killer. You think that this is a simple story? You think wrong! Mac is searching for some answers for the murder of her sister and what she’s getting? Many answers about herself! She thought she knew everything. She thought that her world will be full of rainbows and sunny days. She thought wrong. Now, she has to find a mythical fae book, she has to fight creatures made of nightmares and she has to do it with the help of a very mysterious man (?) who can be even more ruthless than her enemies. Yeah, nothing easy here!

I liked Mac from the beginning. Yes, even when she was just a simple girl who wanted to know only about polish nails and mini-skirts. Why? Because when she was that girl she decided to travel in a country far away from her safety to get her answers. She is smart and determined. In this book, we can see the first steps of her transformation. She is slowly changes from a young adult to fully adult with the responsibilities and the passions that the adults have.

Barrons. There are not enough words for him. What he is? Nobody knows. What he is doing? Nobody knows exactly what he is doing. One thing is for sure in this book: he needs Mac in order to find something very important to him. Sexy as a sin, he has an attitude that isn’t easy to tolerate. But because of his attitude he is this larger-than-life man. He isn’t the kind of man that will tell you pretty lies or hold your hand when everything is bad for you. He is the kind of man that will tell you that you have to go on with your life and stop crying because it’s a waste of time and energy. I truly believe that he is the best main male characters in an urban fantasy series!

There is also V’lane. He is also mysterious and beautiful but he’s seriously lacking morals. He’s doing some things to Mac without her concession and he thinks that he is his right to do it. He hasn’t a big part in this book but we will see him again in the next ones.

“Darkfever” is our entrance in a very unique world-building. It introduces us to the fae world and gives us a story like no other! Another great thing about this book is that the author has done AMAZING job with her narration! Mac gives us hints of what will come to the next books and she has a way of doing that intrigue our imagination!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

Quotes Maria_Love_For_Books Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons laughed again. "And there, my dear Fio, you make one of Womankind's greatest mistakes: Falling in love with a man's potential. We so rarely share the same view of it, and even more rarely care to achieve it. Stop pining for the man you think I could be -- and take a good, long, hard look at the one I am.”

Karen Marie Moning
“There are two kinds of people in the world Ms. Lane: those who survive no matter the cost and those who are walking victims.”