Tex Reader's Reviews > Lacuna

Lacuna by A.M. Daily

4.0 of 5 stars – Good SF, Shades of 1984, Spiced With a Queer Element.
[Thanks to the author and Goodreads' Don't Buy My Love program for a free copy in exchange for an honest review]

This was an exciting start of a sci-fi/dystopian series with a secondary queer subplot.

It was refreshing that the main focus was on the sci-fi, with the gay aspect and any romance as a subplot. In this way I thought it was more true to life - where a light m/m romance may be overwhelmingly about the romance, here there was balance with everything else that happens in life. In this case it'd be what I call a classic "soft" sci-fi, tapping into the soft sciences more than the techie/hard sciences. In fact, I saw elements of 1984, only instead of Big Brother, it was a nondescript conquering alien race that was oppressively ruling the populace, similarly spreading propaganda about its victories over an evil secret subversive resistance and seemingly watching and controlling everyone's every move. So it made me think about issues relevant to today - suppression/surveillance vs. freedom, genocide vs. survival, selfishness vs. trust, loyalty and friendships.

A.M. Daily drew me in from the start and kept me engaged throughout with her easy-to-read, descriptive style and world building that was creative and delightful. It may have taken a while, but I didn't mind since I really enjoyed the process as the dystopian underworld took shape. And she developed a good diverse set of characters, glbtq and otherwise - humans, humanoids, aliens, etc.

The story was told in third person, mainly from the POV of three YA men, bound together through friendship and love. In fact, part of the tension is the attraction smoldering under the surface for most of the story (view spoiler)

Speaking of which, as for the sex, not much there, which was fine by me. It was more alluded to; and even in the one hotter scene, it was still not fully explicit, maybe a little too coy or discreet than need be. As such, the emotions were there, but it didn't fully capture the sensations a man would feel.

For those interested, it worked well as a standalone - coming to a satisfying conclusion for this part (yeah, some things were left hanging as you might expect from any opener), while also developing an imaginative world and characters that will span across the series. All in all, I was impressed with the level of quality that Daily brought to this debut in the series, and I look forward to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lacuna.

November 21, 2015 – Shelved