EggSalad's Reviews > Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons

Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

it was ok

Just started. Page 7:
"Ironcially [sic], it was Tom's pen sketch of a werewolf [used in the first edition of D&D]."

Ok, really? We can't even run a spell check on a published book? What's even worse is that this is not ironic. Perhaps it is ironc, which is some new term which represents something other than irony.

Just for reference (from google): Ironic = happening in the opposite way to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this. His friend drawing a picture of a monster that his friend really liked for a game with monsters is not the opposite to what is expected, and did not cause any wry amusement.

Next: This is a fictionalized historic account, complete with what people were thinking. *Sigh*.

So far I'd say read Playing at the World: A History of Simulating Wars, People, and Fantastic Adventure from Chess to Role-Playing Games and not this.

I have not completely given up. Yet.

Ok, I stuck with it. It reads fairly easy, except for the occasional jarring moment, as mentioned above. The author's take on the death of Gary Gygax is so cheesy it is gag inducing.

After all that, I am going to give it 2 stars. It does provide a lot more detail on Gary Gygax that I have not seen in other books on this subject, and he was an interesting guy. And, I did finish it, which means it it cannot be that bad. Probably worth 2.5 stars if they allowed more granularity in the ratings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Imagination.

November 21, 2015 – Started Reading