K.'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Nov 21, 2015

bookshelves: 2012, 2014, 2015, 5-star, childhood-revisited, fantasy, oh-god-my-feels, own-it-hard-copy, audience-middle-grade, omg-that-cover, setting-uk, favourites
Read 20 times. Last read November 21, 2015 to November 22, 2015.

22/11/2015
This is the first time I've read the illustrated edition, obviously, but I'm copying my review from the standard edition anyway because it's still relevant. First things first: the art in this is STUNNING. It shows the emotion and movement in so many of the scenes perfectly - Harry's joy when he and Hagrid are taking the boat back to the mainland and away from the Dursleys, the chaos of Platform 9 3/4, Harry's desperation and ecstasy over seeing his parents in the Mirror of Erised, Snape's loathing, the speed of Quidditch.

That said, it makes me ever so slightly disappointed that Kay chose to make all three of the Golden Trio white. Because sure, Ron has to be white. He's ginger, and we're constantly told that he's stupidly pale or green or grey. But Harry and Hermione? There's nothing in there to say that either of them are white. And it actually makes more sense if they're not, given their hair. My headcanon says Harry's black and Hermione's Indian. So I would have LOVED to see an artist go "Guess what? Let's do something a little different here."

ANYWAY. Because of the layout of this and wanting to savour the illustrations, this was a slower read than Philosopher's Stone usually is. And as a result, the book gave me a crapton of feels. Why? Because reading it slowly made it incredibly obvious just how abusive the Dursleys are towards Harry, and how fucked up Harry's childhood has been. I mean, he lives in a cupboard full of spiders. He's never been to the zoo. He has to do the cooking and the cleaning. He thinks it's generous that they give him 50p for Christmas. He's never gotten a birthday present or a Christmas present, and he doesn't have any friends until he goes to Hogwarts. He's never even seen a picture of his parents. UNCLE VERNON DRIVES HIM TO KINGS CROSS ON 1 SEPTEMBER, POINTS OUT THAT THERE'S NO PLATFORM 9 3/4 AND FUCKING LEAVES HIM THERE.

Obviously, I've noticed all these things in the past, but something about the combination of the layout and the art really hammered it home for me and gave me seven million feelings and the desire to give this ELEVEN YEAR OLD KID a hug. It's no wonder Molly Weasley mothers him so much. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and cry over a fictional kid.

4/5/2014
It staggers me that no matter how many times I read these books, I still find new things every time. Surely, after sixteen rereads, I shouldn't be surprised by anything? And yet, I am. This time around? Harry's nerves about being Sorted: "He'd never been more nervous, never, not even when he'd had to take a school report home to the Dursleys saying that he'd somehow turned his teacher's wig blue." (p. 86)

26/11/2012
I first read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on a plane from London to Singapore in 1998. My mum handed it and Chamber of Secrets to me as I was boarding the plane, and told me to read them and let me know what she thought when she got back to Australia the following week. I read both books straight through without stopping. I read through dinner, and I kept reading when they dimmed the lights so everyone could go to sleep.

Fourteen years later, it still has the same power over me. I love every second of it. It may not be a perfect book from a critical point of view. But to me, as a reader? It's flawless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
1998 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
1998 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
1999 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2000 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2001 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2002 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2003 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2004 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2005 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2006 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2007 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2008 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2009 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2010 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
2011 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 20, 2011 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 20, 2011 – Shelved as: things-i-can-rea... (Paperback Edition)
October 14, 2011 – Shelved as: audience-young-a... (Paperback Edition)
November 19, 2012 –
November 25, 2012 –
page 209
93.72% (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
November 26, 2012 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
November 27, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012 (Paperback Edition)
May 3, 2014 –
page 1
0.45% "I blame Ashlea for this." (Paperback Edition)
May 3, 2014 –
page 85
38.12% (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014 (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 17, 2014 – Shelved as: audience-middle-... (Paperback Edition)
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: own-it-hard-copy (Paperback Edition)
November 21, 2015 – Started Reading
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: own-it-hard-copy
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: audience-middle-grade
November 22, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 30, 2015 – Shelved as: omg-that-cover
December 7, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star (Paperback Edition)
August 7, 2016 – Shelved as: setting-uk (Paperback Edition)
August 7, 2016 – Shelved as: setting-uk
December 3, 2016 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 3, 2016 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016 (Paperback Edition)
October 2, 2017 – Shelved as: favourites (Paperback Edition)
October 2, 2017 – Shelved as: favourites
October 8, 2017 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 8, 2017 –
page 1
0.45% "I'm going to a Harry Potter trivia night on the 21st, so obviously I'm about to marathon the entire series in preparation..." (Paperback Edition)
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017 (Paperback Edition)
October 9, 2017 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)