Shannon Thompson's Reviews > Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8 by Naoko Takeuchi

This particular manga covers the ending of The Infinity Arc and the beginning of The Dead Moon Circus. A beautiful duo.
First, the ending of The Infinity Arc: It’s amazing. Basically, it’s so intense even one panel will have you freaking out, especially if the panel has ANYTHING to do with Sailor Saturn. (Still one of my all-time favorite sailors.) But I don’t want to spoil how it pans out, so I won’t say anything aside from saying it’s inventive, thrilling, and death-defying—all while maintaining a gothic beauty. Out of the entire volume, my favorite panel was in this section, and as cheesy as it is, my favorite panel was probably Mamoru’s transformation, an act we rarely see since he’s often on the sidelines (generally ogling Usagi with “I love you” eyes). Aside from that, of course, Sailor Saturn’s awakening is gorgeous, despite how dreadful the moment is. And wait…wait…when Mamoru and Chibi-Usa believe Usagi has died…::sniffle:: Those panels were heartbreaking. (Seriously. Volume 8 is full of tears.) Probably some of the most heartbreaking panels in the entire manga series. Okay. I retract. It’s impossible to pick a favorite panel in this volume.
Now, The Dead Moon Circus. To be perfectly honest, I have an unusual opinion. Personally, while most readers of this manga think The Infinity Arc is the best one, I am in love with The Dead Moon Circus. It’s quirky and delightful and bizarrely magical. I love the stark contrast these particular enemies have with all of the other enemies of this manga series. Even though they are evil, there’s something very playful about them. (Well, I mean, it is a circus.) Plus, Pegasus comes into the game. Who doesn’t like a Pegasus? (Let alone who the Pegasus ends up being…but that’s another volume to discuss.) And I love his relationship with Chibi-Usa…and it only gets better from here.
Can’t wait for Volume 9.
~SAT
Recommended to: Sailor Moon fans (a give-in), readers of shojo, and fans of female superheroes. For people who know absolutely nothing about this series, you might like this volume if you enjoy end-of-the-world scenarios, possession, reincarnation, grim reaper types, creepy circuses, and mythical creatures, like the Pegasus. But of course, I recommend reading the first seven beforehand.
Favorite quote: There is nothing that a person who is prepared to die can't accomplish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8.

November 20, 2015 – Started Reading