Esteban del Mal's Reviews > Memoirs of Hadrian

Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar

Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, novel
Read from June 09 to July 07, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of Hadrian.

06/11/2011 page 45
11.0% "The true birthplace is that wherein for the first time one looks intelligently upon oneself; my first homelands have been books, and to a lesser degree schools."
06/21/2011 page 124
30.0% "I doubt if all the philosophy in the world can succeed in suppressing slavery; it will, at most, change the name."
06/23/2011 page 175
43.0% "I still know nothing of what goes on behind death's dark curtain. But the Syrian night remains as my conscious experience of immortality." 2 comments
07/07/2011 page 269
66.0% "But other hordes would come, and other false prophets. Our feeble efforts to ameliorate man's lot would be but vaguely continued by our successors; the seeds of error and of ruin contained even in what is good would, on the contrary, increase to monstrous proportions in the course of the centuries. A world wearied of us would seek other masters; what had seemed wise to us would be pointless for them." 4 comments
07/07/2011 page 295
72.0% "Little soul, gentle and drifting, guest and companion of my body, now you will dwell below in pallid places, stark and bare; there you will abandon your play of yore. But one moment still, let us gaze together on these familiar shores, on these objects which doubtless we shall not see again...Let us try, if we can, to enter into death with open eyes..."

Kelly Fucking great, right?

Esteban del Mal Yes.

message 3: by Kelly (last edited Jul 08, 2011 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly It's funny because I try to describe how great this is to people and why, and ultimately some people just keep asking me what the plot is and I have to say, "It's an old man writing a letter to his heir about his life," and their eyes glaze over. Argh. Oh well. I'm going to start telling them it's about the emperor's secret career as a ninja.

Esteban del Mal Ha! Yeah, it's pretty difficult to explain. Maybe just as a 'meditation'? I dunno. But it gave me chills.

Kelly But it gave me chills.

Yes, yes! What is it about this book? Part of me hopes I never completely know so I can get those chills every time I read it.

Suna I adore this book. As in, really, completely, deeply love it with all my heart.

And I so know what you mean about trying to explain what it's like....