Britany's Reviews > Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker by Leah Remini

bookshelves: audiobook, non-fiction, bookriot, memoir, people-mag-rec

I was intrigued about Leah's story since she hit headlines when she left the "church" of Scientology. I finally got my hands on a copy- audio, and immediately fell in love with it. She is a very specific character and knows who she is to the point, that it was like she was sitting next to me telling me her very personal story. She tells it like it is, and I appreciated the no-nonsense writing and the stories. I don't know which to recommend more- the audio, which was incredible, or the book- as that displayed some good pictures throughout the book. Also, a few police document copies-- which doesn't translate as well via audio.

Leah's mother marries George and that's when their family delves into Scientology. I learned that their biggest mission is to clear the planet (Whatever THAT means) and learned even more about the suppressive, cult-like nature of the church. She mostly confirmed what I thought was true and addresses all the elephants in the room- *cough Tom Cruise cough*. The Scientology sections flow together while Leah auditions for many roles, and finally lands her major break. I loved the juxtaposition between Hollywood & Scientology- the irony is not lost on me.

The only pieces missing for me, was the ending- a little too rushed and left some major plot points unanswered, luckily for me, I will use Google to find out what happened with the church since she's become an SP and where in the world did Shelly Miscavige go? Highly recommend this one to those interested. There is some minor language- which perfectly comes out of Leah's mouth, however, not for those that can't handle the F***'s. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.

November 20, 2015 – Shelved
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 23, 2016 – Started Reading
June 25, 2016 –
page 102
44.74% "Loving this one on audio"
June 28, 2016 –
page 174
76.32% "Can't get enough"
June 30, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 30, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
June 30, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 24, 2016 – Shelved as: bookriot
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: memoir
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: people-mag-rec

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M So many books to read but this sounds fascinating .

message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Britany! :)

message 3: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta Glad I got the audio version. Great review, Britany!

Britany Thanks Ladies- Great on audio! I found myself listening WAY longer than my commute-- and I wanted to talk to everyone about this one.

message 5: by B J (new)

B J Great review. Ironically not putting on my read list( most unusual ). Not interest in Hollywood or Scientology .

Alena I just ordered this today. Glad you liked it.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Great review :)

message 8: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Have this one on my Nook, awesome review, Britany.

Britany No worries BJ- it's certainly not for everyone. Can't wait to see your thoughts Alena and Diane!

Thanks Suzanne. :)

message 10: by SeaShore (new)

SeaShore Leah Remini to turn Scientology experience into a TV show? According to this June 30th 2016 article, Rick Ross, founder and executive director of the Cult Education Institute, said a series on how Scientology treats families is much-needed.
I don't know if Remini will be following up with this series idea.