Chance Lee's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

Jan 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories

Unlike a newspaper's human interest stories, which provide a glossy, manipulative look at the private lives of normal people, this book has a real interest in humans, albeit fictional ones. You see characters from multiple perspectives across the vignettes. There's no over-arching plot, just a series of articles. Just like in a newspaper. Quirky character Ornella de Montericchi, reader of the newspaper at the center of this book, "never learned the techniques of newspaper reading, so took it in order like a book. She read every article and refused to move on until she was done." Just like a newspaper, you can read the stories in this book in any order, skip the ones you don't like, re-read the ones you do. Many of the stories are bleak. Some are downright cruel. Life is fleeting. Maybe we can leave an imprint on the world, even if it is just an ink stain on someone's fingertips. Even that will eventually wash away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.

January 30, 2011 – Started Reading
January 30, 2011 – Shelved
January 30, 2011 –
page 95
33.1% "My book only has 269 pages! :P Anyway, the writing is good. It's more a collection of short stories than a novel. I haven't figured out the plot yet, if there is one. Of the four characters I've read about, I really like two of them, one is alright, and one I could do without."
February 5, 2011 –
page 245
February 6, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 19, 2013 – Shelved as: short-stories

Carmen Great review.

Chance Lee Thank you, Carmen. I saw you recently finished it. I cannot remember *a thing* about this "horrid, depressing book"! I tend to like horrid, depressing things, so maybe that's why I kind of enjoyed it, ha ha.

Carmen Chance - LOL