jenjn79's Reviews > Against the Fire

Against the Fire by Kat Martin

Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: series-raines-wind-canyon, author-kat-martin, 2011, format-mmp, info-full, published-2011, reviewed, genre-romance-fiction, stars-4, condition-new, bought-walmart
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from March 15 to 16, 2011 , read count: 1

The first book in this series was a bit lackluster, but I thought this one had a lot more spark to it (no pun intended). There's a lot more depth to the story and it was just more engaging.

Series Note:
Second book in Martin's "Raines of Wind Canyon" series about 3 brothers who had bad childhoods but turned their lives around. I wouldn't necessarily say you need to read the first book first.

Summary:
Gabriel Raines is a successful real estate developer in Dallas whose buildings are suddenly going up in flames. The cops find evidence of arson and suspect a local teen with a history of burning buildings. But Mattie Baker, local architect and shelter volunteer, knows the boy couldn't have done it. In order to prove it, she'll team up with Gabe to help find the real culprit.

In doing so, she puts herself in danger because someone wants to hit Gabe where it hurts. They've got a vendetta against Gabe that they'll put paid on no matter what the cost. Gabe is baffled. He doesn't know anyone who'd want to hurt him. And to make things even more confusing, the sparks between him and Mattie are impossible to ignore. But getting Mattie to give in to the chemistry between them is not easy chore. By the time all is said and done, Gabe hopes to be free from the arsonists and to have Mattie by his side, permanently.

Review:
Compared to the first book, the suspense angle of this book is so much stronger. Martin does a really good job of developing the plot and keeping the reader engaged in all that's going on. I wouldn't put the story on the same level as a full fledged romantic suspense...like that of a Karen Rose whose stories are suspense with enough romance to make it a romance...it's more of a romance with a nicely developed suspense plot to go with it. But it was a well done aspect of the story. It was pretty well written, logical and interesting to read. It kept my attention in the story, unlike the plot of the first book.

The romance is pretty good as well. I really liked Gabe. He came from a rough beginning but really managed to make something of his life. Plus, he comes around as just an all around nice guy. And the patience he has for Mattie definitely ups his good-guy factor. As for Mattie...I mostly liked her, but she did get frustrating with all her hang-ups. At times it feels like she overblows things in her life and the reasons she's pushing Gabe away seem not enough. But on the whole, the romance was pretty good.

For those of you who read the first book and found it to be a bit blah, I think you'll find this one much more readable. Looking forward to the last book in the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Fire.

03/14/2011 page 0
0.0% "Starting 3/15/2011."
03/17/2011 page 408
100.0% "I liked this book quite a bit. It was much more engaging for me than the first book on the series. 4-stars. Finished 3/16/11."