Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Lion's Lady

The Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood

One of my favorite Garwood books. I love her heroines, and Christina Bennett, raised by Native American Indians, is a fish out of water in Regency England. Not that that stops her from taking the city by storm while riding bare-back and finding her fierce Lyon. Some classic LOL moments in this book. And my favorite scene?
Lyon dismounted, slapped his horse on the hindquarters as a signal to take to the stables, then called out to Christina's former butler. "Elbert? What are you doing with my shoes?"

"The madam's orders, my lord," Elbert answered. "Didn't know a man could own so many boots," he added. "Been at this task near an hour now. Up the stairs and down the stairs, then up--"

"Elbert? Give me the reason why," Lyon interrupted, his voice irritated. "And what are you doing at Lyonwood? Did Christina invite you to visit?"

"Hired me, sir," Elbert announced. "I'm to be Brown's assistant. Did you know how worried she was about me? She knew I wouldn't last with the old bat. Your misses has a good heart. I'll do my part, my lord. I won't be a shirking me responsibilities to you."

Christina did have a good heart. His gentle wife knew Elbert wouldn't be able to find work with anyone else. He was simply too old, too feeble. "I'm sure you'll do fine, Elbert," Lyon said. "Glad to have you on staff."

"Thank you, my lord," Elbert returned.

Lyon notice Brown standing in the open doorway then. His butler looked upset. "Good afternoon, my lord," Brown called out. "It is so very good to have you back," he added. His voice sounded strained to Lyon, relieved as well. "Did you see your shoes, sir?"

"I'm not blind, man. Of course I saw them. Would you care to explain what in thunderation is going on?"

"Your wife's order," Brown announced.

"Past wife," Elbert interjected with a cackle.

Lyon took a deep breath. "What are you talking about?" He addressed his question to Brown, believing his young butler would make more sense than the old man snickering with laughter behind him.

"You're being divorced, my lord."

"I'm what?"

Brown's shoulders sagged. He knew his lord wasn't going to take the news well. "Divorced."

"Cast out, my lord, pushed aside, forgotten, dead in her heart--"

"I get you meaning Elbert," Lyon muttered in exasperation. "I'm aware of what the word divorce means."

Lyon continued into the house. The old servant shuffled after him. "Those were her very words. My mistress is divorcing you the way her people do. She said it was quite all right to get rid of a husband. You have to find someplace else to live."

"I what?" Lyon asked, certain he hadn't heard correctly.

Brown's insistent nod indicated he had.

"You're cast out, pushed aside--"

"For God's sake, Elbert, cease your litany," Lyon demanded. He turned back to Brown. "What is the significance of the shoes?"

"They signify your departure, my lord," Brown said.

The butler tried not to stare at the incredulous look on his master's face. He was in jeopardy of losing his control. He stared at the floor instead.

"Let me get this straight in my mind," Lyon muttered. "My wife believes the house belongs to her?"

"And your mother, of course," Brown blurted out. "She's keeping her."

Brown was biting his lower lip. Lyon thought he might be trying not to laugh.

"Of course," Lyon drawled.

Elbert tried to be helpful once again. "It's the way her people do," he interjected, his voice gratingly cheerful.

"Where is my wife?" Lyon asked, ignoring Elbert's comments.

He didn't wait for his servants to answer him but took the stairs two at a time to reach the bedrooms. A sudden thought made him pause. "Did she cut her hair?" he called out.

"She did," Elbert shouted before Brown could open his mouth. "It's the way of it," Elbert insisted. "Once the hair's cut--well, then you're as good as dead to her. You're set aside, cast--"

"I've gotten her message," Lyon shouted. "Brown, bring my shoes inside. Elbert, go sit somewhere."
Well worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion's Lady.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Julie Garwood
“Lyon knew she wasn't aware she was being watched, either. She wouldn't have eaten the leaf otherwise, or reached for another.

“Sir, which one is Princess Christina?” Andrew asked Lyon, just as Rhone started in choking on his laughter. Rhone has obviously been watching Christina, too.

“Sir?”

“The blond-headed one,” Lyon muttered, shaking his head. He watched in growing disbelief as Christina daintily popped another leaf into her mouth.

“Which blond-headed one?” Andrew persisted.

“The one eating the shrubs.”

Julie Garwood
“Your eyes have turned as black as a Crow’s,” she blurted out.

He didn’t even blink over her bizarre comment. “Not this time, Christina,” he said in a furious whisper. “Compliments won’t get me off balance again, my little temptress. I swear to God, if you ever again dismiss me so casually, I’m going to––”

“Oh, it wasn’t a compliment,” Christina interrupted, letting him see her irritation. “How presumptuous of you to think it was. The Crow is our enemy.”

Julie Garwood
“– Diana: “Christina said the strangest thing.”

– Lyon: “Of course she did.”

04/24/2016 marked as: read

message 3: by CaroB (new) - added it

CaroB I read this well over 10 years ago. You've renewed my interest in a re-read!

Lisa Kay CaroB., I know ! Love this book. Maybe I'll do a re-read with you...if you wait awhile. Or maybe not, LOL!!

message 5: by CaroB (last edited May 29, 2011 01:27PM) (new) - added it

CaroB lol, I'll let you know when I get to it and see how soon that comes around :-)

Lisa Kay Good! Maybe we can connect. I always loved this scene b/c I would have wanted to keep my mother-in-law; unlike Christina's, my was a jewel. My father-in-law, however...well, that's best left unsaid. :)

Melanie♥ This is my very favorite JG book. I re-read it often.

Joeera i loved this book it's one of my favorites

Karla Sounds fantastic Lisa Kay, I'm going to have to read this one soon!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Well worth the read!

Oh, so true!!! I loved the part where the aunt is telling him to be gentle... I think that's the quote I used in my review... funny stuff!

Great review, as always!

Sha Mslvoe Lisa lisa, you're too good and I LOVED all your review!!!

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Lisa Kay, that scene alone makes me want to read this book!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Carol wrote: "Lisa Kay, that scene alone makes me want to read this book!"

Yes!! You have to read it!! Promise me you'll read it.

message 14: by Kelly (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly I remember this being among my fav JG. May be in for a reread. Great scene.

Lisa Kay Sorry I missed your comments, ladies! Thanks for your kind comments.

However, this just came out on audio! Woohoo!

Kristen I loved this book. Great review, Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kristen!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ahhh, so glad this went through the feed again. Love that scene! Julie Garwood is one of my favorite historical romance authors. Pisses me to hell off she stopped writing them.

message 19: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Loved that part too, Lisa. So funny.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Dhes & Anne!

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Allen I really loved that part too! Great review! :)

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Doe hahahahah... I loved that scene! It was funny like hell. Maybe I'll do it if my future husband pisses me off