aPriL does feral sometimes 's Reviews > The Girl in the Spider's Web

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz

Damn damn damn damn.

This is an ordinary regular by-the-numbers thriller. This is not the Lisbeth Salander I loved in Stieg Larsson's Millennium series. This book's Salander character is a rebellious teenager who is having a bad-hair day. The writing is utterly pedestrian and augmented with repetitive filler.

I refuse to soil my memories of the original trilogy by reading any further in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Spider's Web.

November 19, 2015 – Started Reading
November 19, 2015 – Shelved
November 22, 2015 –
15.0% "NO NO NO! Either the writing or the translation is all wrong! This is NOT good."
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: dnf
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: loathe-it
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: older-teen
November 22, 2015 – Shelved as: original-series-author-died
November 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Andy Yer right the main characters are very diffo, even wrong where it comes to the female players, but admit to liking the story for what it was.... a decent opening addition to the Nordic Noir genre.

Steig Larsson & his partner were a very special writing team & it is a shame that their further works will go unwritten

aPriL does feral sometimes A lot of other reviewers feel it was good stuff, too, Andy. But I wanted something exactly like what Larsson and partner and translater created. Unreasonable, I know.

I have enjoyed many reviews that don't agree with me! But I never know how to handle that on GR - we need a button for 'Like review but the book was a different experience for me'? I've tapped 'like' before on reviews with ratings different than mine, but it seems to confuse some people.

Thank you for your comment, Andy, and for putting up with my crankiness!

: )

Skip I agree with Andy :-)

aPriL does feral sometimes I wonder if my being a woman and adoring Salander's original bleak wildcat personality (wish fulfillment at work) increased my dismay at how this book is written. Second thought, yeah, that is it.

Skip There is no doubt that it's not Stieg Larsson, but Lisbeth is still a force, and of course, her psycho sister is still out there.

Andy aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I wonder if my being a woman and adoring Salander's original bleak wildcat personality (wish fulfillment at work) increased my dismay at how this book is written. Second thought, yeah, that is it."

No Im with you on that too, also Erika Berger isn't the same by a long way.

As soon as I read the opening Salander gambit I switched off my "wishing it was the same as Stieg Larsson would have wrote" chip & all was well for me with what turned into a decent enough read.

I CAN fully understand the disappointment of many with the flawed Salander character, its almost like this book is the American film version which was jus aweful!!